PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with my new FreeChex tool

Dale53
10-19-2009, 12:33 AM
I am having problems with my FreeChex tool. I Emailed Charlie several days ago (wrote to him at his Ebay address) and have had NO response. Does anyone have his current email address. Maybe he is out of town?

Using the thickest material he sent me (.015" aluminum) the .44 caliber gas checks are only .428" (.002" smaller than my sizing diameter). Further, they are VERY loose on my Lyman 429244 bullet base. I wouldn't want to use these as they could fall off inside the case and I have NO desire to lose a barrel (or worse).

There is another problem. The gas check "sticks" onto the base of the forming tool (I'm using the correct end of the tool) and has to be pried off. This makes it impossible to get any sort of production of the checks. I am using an arbor press.

The instructions are very poor. I have a mechanical background and I had a dickens of a time trying to figure out how to use this tool. Finally, after watching the video several times I was able to form good looking (but too small outside and too large inside) gas checks. Some pictures in the instructions would certainly help as would identification of the "tool terms".

I WANT this tool to work, I REALLY do.

Any help available will be appreciated.

Dale53

Outdoors
10-19-2009, 01:41 AM
hey Dale,
I bought a freechex from Charlie at the end of last month. As I recall, he said he would be out of town for some portion of this month. Not sure he has any auctions running, but have you tried to contact him via ebay?

Pat

Dale53
10-19-2009, 01:45 AM
Outdoors;
Yes, I have. Since he has a reputation for answering promptly, I suspect that what you say is true (out of town).

I can wait.

Dale53

JeffinNZ
10-19-2009, 05:46 AM
DALE: I have asked you, in a previous thread to supply the dimensions of your FC II and offered to assist. The offer still stands.

jhrosier
10-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Dale,
Charlie posts from time to time on the CBA forum.
You might reach him over there.

Jack

bigjoe
10-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Dale, I have several of Charlies check makers, 2 in 30 cal and 1 in 6.5, and the 6.5 does have a tendency to stick the checks to the bottom of the mandrel from time to time. I just use a case size lube, like Reddings or Hornadays. The instruction do say that you can add a little bit (very little) of bullet lube to the base of the bullet before you put on the check and size it, or even a little glue of some sort. Sounds like you may need to use a little thicker material? maybe 1 or 2 thousands to bump up the thickness and make the check fit a little tighter...Joe

Feel free to PM me and maybe I can be of more help....

Dale53
10-19-2009, 10:55 AM
To all;
Charlie has contacted me (he apparently sent me a couple of emails right after I sent a "help" request on Ebay that I didn't get).

JeffinNZ;
I apparently missed that reply of yours.

I suspect that the outside dimensions can be solved by thicker material (if I can find some) but it would exceed the maximum dimensions allowed in the instructions. Until Charlie OK's that, I don't want to take a chance on trashing the tool.

I will measure the dimensions of the gas check shank and get that information to Charlie upon his return at the end of next week. I am not in a particular hurry, just wanted to make contact so we could start the process of solving this problem so we could use these.

Dale53

StarMetal
10-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Dale,

I'm confused. You say the check outside diameter is .002 smaller then your sized diameter. As I see it nothing can change the outside diameter of the check but the forming cup hole in the die. Using thicker material will only make the inside diameter smaller if the punch permits that. You see what I'm saying? On my gas check makers all my caliber gas check outside diameter is larger then the sized diameter of the bullet.

Joe

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-19-2009, 07:00 PM
try going to your local newspaper, if you haven't already; and ask for a sheet or two of used lithograph aluminum. You realize you just forced me to walk nearly 30yds (roundtrip) out to the shop and measure a sheet. Huh? .008" and very uniform.

Rich

Dale53
10-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Star Metal;
Talk about a "brain fart" - you're absolutely RIGHT! So, when Charlie gets back I'll have to exchange my tool for one the correct size.

Thank you![smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Dale53

StarMetal
10-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Star Metal;
Talk about a "brain fart" - you're absolutely RIGHT! So, when Charlie gets back I'll have to exchange my tool for one the correct size.

Thank you![smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Dale53

Dale,

I read your post over and over to make sure I wasn't having a brain fart. Then I says that tool is undersized.

Glad I could help you.

Joe

Dale53
10-19-2009, 08:33 PM
IdahoSharpshooter;
I was not ignoring your effort - I WILL be dropping by my local newspaper after I get my tool exchanged for a proper sized one. Thanks for the tip!

Dale53