PDA

View Full Version : Buried my Grandad Friday

Potsy
10-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Buried my Grandad (Papa Paul, as we called him) Friday.
He was 87. Two years into Alzheimers and my Grandmother (with help) took care of him instead of putting him into a nursing home. He passed before he got bad enough to have to go to one. Never was in any real pain until the last 3 weeks while he was in the hospital with other complications. He got a better deal than most do.
I knew him for 36 years, still have my other 3 grandparents, I'm very lucky and very blessed.
Just real hard letting go.

WILCO
10-19-2009, 12:24 AM
So sorry to hear of it Potsy. Stay strong and remember the good times.

Muddy Creek Sam
10-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Potsy,

Condolences on your loss, and prayers for you family. I lost a grandfather to Alzheimers. He stayed at home till he tried to make coffee with rat poison. He hung on for years, but contracted it much younger.

Sam

Bret4207
10-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Remember the good times and cherish his memory.

Dframe
10-19-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Bad Water Bill
10-19-2009, 12:43 PM
My dad died of the same thing. He did not even know his wife of 63 years. In a way I was glad to see him go. It was tearing mom apart when he told a nurse that mom was his new girlfriend. Yes we knew the truth but it still tore mom up. Not a nice way to go but now your Grandfather is at peace. Just remember all the good times.

Potsy
10-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.
He really did have a wonderful life. He was a tool and die maker, owned a building supply for a while, but at his heart and soul, he was a farmer, and did that for most of his life.
He had no hobbies except his cows and keeping his 200 acres looking like a state park with a grubbing hoe and a double bitted axe.
He watched his kids and grandkids grow up and be successful, and even in the end, he didn't know me, but always acted like he knew he should know me. He hadn't known my name since April. He was that way with most of the family.

45nut
10-24-2009, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE]Just real hard letting go./QUOTE]

Yep,, cherish the better times, savor the good memories. RIP Paul.

HollandNut
10-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Prayers to you and the family Potsy

MT Gianni
10-24-2009, 03:22 PM
You have my sincere sympathy.

GP100man
10-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Prayers of peace & comfort to you & your family.

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-24-2009, 08:57 PM
It sounds like he had a pretty good run, just a little tough at the end. You will have decades of good memories to cherish. Hold close to the good and let go of the little bit of bad. He must have been quite a man.

When my GrandFather went, there were over 1400 people at the funeral. Wonderful to think he touched that many lives for the better. He used to tell me about his service in WWI in the 40&8. Thirteen children, and never missed church after he returned home from the war. My GrandMother stood by him more than seventy years. She left us not long after, I do not think she knew what to do without Him.

Think of him in Heaven today, and his welcome there. He stood before God and heard "Well done, thou good and faithful servant...".

Rich
we are diminished...

hoosierlogger
10-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear Alzheimer's is a terrible way to watch someone die. We are going through the same thing with my grandmother now.