PDA

View Full Version : Lee shellholders and adapter

cheese1566
10-18-2009, 08:22 PM
I was thinking after looking at my Lee AutoPrime Handpriming Tool shellholders, is there an adapter I can use with these to use in an obsolete presses? I already have a set of Lee shellholders and I think a majority of people here do to.

I have that old Wells Press that uses the old obsolete Herters threaded shellholders. I was thinking if one could get an adapter to utilize the Lee priming shellholders. Vega Tool and CH make adapters to use common shellholders.

I think an adapter to use these shellholders would be an idea. I would try it but don't have a lathe.

Ben
10-18-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm not aware of anyone who makes one. For a talented machinist, I wouldn't think that would be a very big challenge.

Ben

jhrosier
10-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Sounds like a good idea except that an adapter would have to wrap aroung the shellholder to retain it and then the die wouldn't be able to get close enough to full length size or crimp.

Jack

cheese1566
10-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Sounds like a good idea except that an adapter would have to wrap aroung the shellholder to retain it and then the die wouldn't be able to get close enough to full length size or crimp.

Jack

Thats the boat I am in now. The Vega Tool and CH adapter adapter screws on the press and then common shellholders go on top of that. Kind of like "doublestacking" shellholders. If done like so, the ram runs out of room so to speak. I conferred this with a forum friend who has the same press. He said it wasn't much of a problem.

I thought maybe using the shallow Lee priming shellholders, some clearance could be gained.

jhrosier
10-18-2009, 11:08 PM
If you could get some threaded rod with the correct thread from someone like McMaster-Carr you would have the hard part done.
Anyone with a small lathe could drill through the rod on center for the priming punch.
Perhaps the Lee shellholders could then be jigged up to the center of the rod and then MIG welded in place.

It just might work out!;)

Jack

cheese1566
10-19-2009, 08:57 AM
That is a thought! It has internal threads of I think 3/8" fine thread (or is it 5/16" I have to check again). I believe I read the outside threads on the ram were 5/8".

I wonder though if the little Lee's will take the stress, orbreak off the lip on the downstroke away from the die.

This may give me some more tinkering to do with it.

hiram
10-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I had a Wells press. It used screw on shellholders. Somewhere I got the screw on adapter that takes regular shell holders. That was double-stacking as mentioned earlier. As the ram was getting to its high point of mechanical advantage, the double-stacking made it run out of room(travel) and I couldn't full length resize.

The way around this was easy--my dad (tool and die maker) took the link from between the ram and the handle and used it as a pattern. The difference was that the new link he made was maybe 3/8" shorter. This allowed the the ram to run up and reach its full mechanical advantage.

cheese1566
10-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Hiram, I like that too!!

Gerry N.
10-20-2009, 05:32 AM
I haven't checked, but do the Lee priming tool shell holders have the same dimension as a regular shell holder between the head of the cartridge to the base of the die if one is altered to be used for sizing? The priming tool shell holders are designed to hold a cartridge case while a primer is inserted into the primer pocket, not to push, then pull a case into and out of a die.

If that dimension is too short, a catastrophically short headspace condition could be created by pushing a case too far into the sizing die, not too important on rimmed or belted cases, but potentially lethal on cases which headspace on the shoulder.

I should think the purchase price of a shiny new press would be much less than a new rifle and/or a few weeks in a hospital. What's a Lee Classic Cast press go for now?

Gerry N.

cheese1566
10-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Good point!

I was more worried about fatigue and failure of the Lee shellholder.
The potential, and I easily could see it, could lead to major big time failure.

Idea closed!! I'll get the adapter! or use my modern RCBS press.

AJ Peacock
10-20-2009, 09:25 AM
If that dimension is too short, a catastrophically short headspace condition could be created by pushing a case too far into the sizing die, not too important on rimmed or belted cases, but potentially lethal on cases which headspace on the shoulder.

I should think the purchase price of a shiny new press would be much less than a new rifle and/or a few weeks in a hospital. What's a Lee Classic Cast press go for now?

Gerry N.

The headspace length of reloaded ammunition should always be checked, even a few thousandths can cause a problem. As you correctly stated, rimmed and belted are less of an issue, however good reloading practices dictate to measure the shoulder to base dimension of reloaded ammo that headspaces on the shoulder. This dimension should be compared to the particular rifle it is to be used in. Although there are 'standard' headspace dimensions published, the actual dimension can vary considerably between rifles of the same caliber and the standard measurement.

My point is, regardless of the press, dies and shellholder being used, the above warning is valid. That concern over headspace and reloaded ammo is not particular to the OP's situation.

AJ