PDA

View Full Version : Simmons Capper/De-capper?

Tom in Pittsburgh
10-18-2009, 06:11 PM
I have a [20-year-old?] Simmon's Pope-style capper/de-capper. Unlike the new ones being sold by Buffalo Arms, these old ones required a different head for each case type. These heads screw on-and-off, and are locked in place with a set screw that takes a small Allen wrench.

I need a new head (for a modern cartridge -- .30-06), but I don't know if anyone is still making/selling them. I found Jerry Simmons old address in Goshen, Indiana, but my letter to him came back undeliverable.

Can anybody out there steer me to a source for these, or am I dead-in-the-water?

TIA

Tom

www.vintage-gunlore.com

GOPHER SLAYER
10-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Tom,a man named Charles Poole in Los Angeles used to make the Pope style tools of which you seek. The shell holders screw on, held in place with set screw. I have two of them and they are fantastic. He designed the holder to cap the 30.06 or the 30-30 case. He is of course long gone but he taught his nephew how to make them and left him the equipment to do it. I had him make me shell holders for the 45-70 and 44 mag. He does just has good a job as his uncle. His last name is Cleave, first name Jerry. He lives in Sqaw Valley ,Ca. or at least he did. His brother makes the bullit lube called Javalina. Jerry is ,or was a member of The Single Shot Rifle Association, so you might reach him thru them. I will let you know as soon and if I can find his phone #

4060MAY
10-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Jerry Simmons:
715 Middlebury
Goshen, In. 46526

(564) 533-8546

Green Frog
10-18-2009, 09:44 PM
I saw Jerry at the ASSRA Spring Nationals and he was still actively making his version of the Martines re- and decapper that was also copied by Pope. I find it superior to the current offering from Buffalo Arms, et al, because although you need special heads for holding different shell head "families" it is much easier to change them out if you do have them. Likewise, the decapping rod changes quickly and easily with the removal of a single allen screw. BTW, I got one of Jerry's heads for the .30-06/.45 family of shells so I could use it on match ammo for my Garand, but then stopped shooting the Garand, so it has been largely unused, but I keep it for when the need arises. I don't think he makes/sells a lot of that size, but you never can tell what somebody will want, so he covers as many bases as he thinks will be needed.

Call Jerry on the phone and talk with him... speak clearly and somewhat loudly as his hearing is that of an old shooter and machinist. He and I tend to shout when we converse since our hearing is about equivalent! :)

Froggie

Tom in Pittsburgh
10-19-2009, 06:00 AM
I copied a bad address of the 'net (wrong street number).

Will try again, and will try calling him if I don't hear back by mail.

Thanks again...

Tom

www.vintage-gunlore.com

Tom in Pittsburgh
10-30-2009, 04:45 AM
Just to close the loop:

I heard back from Jerry after 4060May posted his correct address. He's still in business and offering his tool and a variety of heads in different calibers -- including the .30-06 one I need.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Tom

www.vintage-gunlore.com