PDA

View Full Version : A Little Confused

brad925
10-18-2009, 04:52 PM
On several occasions i have heard the recomendation of sticking your mould in your mix to bring it up to temp. The confusion comes from the Lyman casting handbook that says you should never ever stick your mold in the mix to heat it. Just wondering if i am missing something or if this advice is to keep people from submersing the entire mold in the pot.

Springfield
10-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Suppossedly dipping it in the heat can cause warping. I personally do it all the time, 2-3 times a week, and no problems yet. Not to say it can't happen, but I haven't ever heard of it actually happening. Sure beats hell out of haveing to cast 4-10 batches until the mould comes up to heat.

Hardcast416taylor
10-18-2009, 05:04 PM
I pre-heat my mold I`m about to use on the edge of the melt pot while the lead is coming up to temp. When it has reached the temp. I want I then dip a corner of my closed mold, about 1/2", into the lead pot for about 20 to 30 seconds. I then start casting with a mold at or near the right casting mold temp. I have done this with LEE molds as well as RCBS and Lyman and other nameless molds with no harm to any.:castmine:Robert

brad925
10-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Rex
10-18-2009, 05:33 PM
I just dip my Lee mold but the Lyamn iron one goes on an electric hot plate burner while the lead melts, then I may need to dip the corner of the hot mold for a few seconds to finish it up.
Seems to work well so far.
Rex

jdgabbard
10-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Like Rex said, hot plate most of the time. But occasssionally I do stick it on the edge of the pot while it heats up and melts the lead. Usually starts off close to the right temp on the second method.

wiljen
10-18-2009, 06:24 PM
my molds heat on a hot plate while my melt heats in the pot.

montana_charlie
10-18-2009, 06:33 PM
If a guy heats his mould on the edge of the pot or on some other surface, he can probably stick it in molten metal without damage. But if a cold mould is shoved into molten lead, I think the sudden change could cause problems.

CM

Pat I.
10-18-2009, 06:36 PM
But if a cold mould is shoved into molten lead, I think the sudden change could cause problems.CM

Do it all the time with no problem using iron and aluminum moulds

JIMinPHX
10-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Lee says do it. Lyman says don't do it. I do it all the time. I've never had any problem with a Lee or Lyman mold. I usually let them sit on top of the pot to get warm first, but I'm not sure that I've done that every time.

Uncle R.
10-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Heck - I usually preheat mine with a propane torch. Keep the flame moving around and don't get nuts on any one spot too long. Less than a minute and I have blocks ready-to-cast. I judge by fill out and hardening time - if they're too cold back to the torch again. Been doing it for years without problems - but be aware that when that propane flame first hits the cold blocks it will condense into WATER on the blocks. Long before the blocks are up to temp they'll be dry, but if you carelessly wave that torch over 'em once or twice and then start to pour you may get a visit from the tinsel fairy.
Uncle R.

geargnasher
10-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Do it all the time with no problem using iron and aluminum moulds

I'll go one more: I've taken a lee 2 cavity that I was having fits with and thrown it, at full casting temp, in a pan of cold water so I could work on it at least a half dozen times. with no ill effects at all from the quenching. I was amazed, figured I'd ruined it but that would have given me a good excuse to throw it away and end the frustration. Not to be, that mould still haunts me and casts really good boolits after I got all it's little engineering and manufacturing issues ironed out.

Now I would never do that with a mould I liked, but I swear it didn't faze that Lee mould.

Gear