PDA

View Full Version : Seater plug for H&68 ?

Bob.
10-17-2009, 05:20 PM
I've been having a little trouble seating the 200 gn 68 copy SWC's.
Using RCBS dies, with the round nose or flat seater plug I have to be really carefull and make sure they are straight starting them in the die or I get case bulge.
Took the flat nose plug from a 40 S&W die and it works better but still has to be started straight as possible.
I have loaded quite a few on a single stage press with the 40 seater plug in the 45 ACP die with no problem as long as I'm really carefull.
But trying to run them on a progressive it's a little slow trying to get the boolet perfectly straight.
Is there a RCBS plug that would work better or another seating die with the guide like the Hornady?
Is there any problems with 452 lead and lube with the sleeve guided type dies?
Should I just get a custom made plug made to fit the boolet?

Thanks

Bob.

GabbyM
10-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Saeco LR top punch 46551 made for Saeco copy of the H&G 68. The LR stands for Lyman RCBS.

Bob.
10-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Thats for the RCBS & Lyman lube/sizer isnt it ?

Bob.

GabbyM
10-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Thats for the RCBS & Lyman lube/sizer isnt it ?

Bob.

Yes if you look at the Saeco punches you'll see they list one for their sizer machine with the threaded punches. The Lyman and RCBS punches have the LR prefix numbers.

Patrick L
10-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Gabby, Bob is looking for a seating punch for loading ammo, not a top punch for sizing bullets.

Bob, I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Are you sure you're flaring your cases enough?

Bob.
10-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys
Yes I have tried flaring them till their belled and still if not careful they don't start straight.
Not a big deal I'm getting them loaded fine but they need to be perfectly squared and lined up. Just have to go slow and make sure they stay straight or they tilt and bulge the case.
I just wondered if there was a better seating die plug that fit the boolet better, or if anyone else has dealt with the same problem.

Bob.

1hole
10-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Bob, I suspect you would enjoy using a Lyman "M" expander die/plug. It has a two-step expander, the main section is normal and the last 1/16" is a tad over bullet diameter and then the flare starts. We can usually not even use the flare part because the short oversized setion not only accomplishes that but it aids in starting the bullets straight as well. The M die is a REALLY good tool and I usually purchase Lyman pistol dies just for that expander, but it is also sold seperately.

If a bullet gets started straight in most seating plugs will do fine to finish the job.

Bob.
10-18-2009, 08:11 AM
I will take a look at the Lyman.
Thanks guy !

Bob.

GabbyM
10-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Gabby, Bob is looking for a seating punch for loading ammo, not a top punch for sizing bullets.

Bob, I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Are you sure you're flaring your cases enough?

Duh; I never made the connection. :veryconfu

Some nights I should just go to bed.

Dillon 45 acp reloading dies have a double ended seater plug. SWC on one end and RN on the other.

Or you can by the RCBS SWC seater plug. Does this one fit your die?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=956860

If you've never used a Lyman M die you should try one. I don't have one myself for the 45 and my Dillon powder through expander has a slightly out of round .448" to .447" dimension.

Bob.
10-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks Gabby
That plug will fit my die, I may try one and see if it fits the boolet profile better.
The Dillon Die looks like it could work also ?
I dont really understand how the the Lyman M die works but I'm gonna check em out.

Bob.

1hole
10-18-2009, 05:26 PM
"That plug will fit my die, I may try one and see if it fits the boolet profile better."

Well, after you get the Lyman M, you can easily make your present plug a "custom fit" for any bullet you like. Clean the cavity, put a blob of hot glue in it and press the desired bullet nose iinto the cavity until the glue cools. (Wax the bullet nose first, as a release agent.) Later, you can easily remove the ball of hot glue if you wish - soak it over night in a (sealed) jar of gasoline and the glue will pull out.