PDA

View Full Version : Garage sale find (pics) !!!!

AJ Peacock
10-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Had to share,

I was doing a little driving around this morning and look what I found!

I sorted it all out and ended up with the following:
31 pounds of WW's (I belive all lead)
28 pounds of roll solder (about 1/2 acid and 1/2 solid) some marked 50/50, the other marked 30 67, with some unmarked.
10 pounds of battery cable ends.
28 pounds of lead pipe, thin lead sheet (pure)
5 x 5lb ingots of pure lead 4 of the ingots are marked 4 in 1 Oatey pure lead (what does the 4 in 1 mean?)
10lbs of 50-50 bar solder !!
35lbs of odd lead melts/ingots.

All in all, around 170 pounds of lead, lead solder.

AND, drumroll please. A really nice 12 cavity ingot mold!

Here is a pic of some of the nicer stuff
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/AJPeacock_photos/Boolit%20Casting/1017091616.jpg

Here is a closeup of an Oatey ingot, mold and solder.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/AJPeacock_photos/Boolit%20Casting/1017091616a.jpg

Anybody seen an ingot mold like this before?

Just had to share with you guys,
AJ

StarMetal
10-17-2009, 04:46 PM
That's great. I'm about as lucky. My neighbor and friend down the mountain runs the town's recycle center (garbage). We bring our garbage to a center like that here in my area of TN. He gives me all the ww's and lead in any form, which is quite a bit. Also I get from him all the reloading stuff that is thrown away and you would be amazed. I return the favors to him.

Joe

stubshaft
10-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Good deal!

Great find.

Springfield
10-17-2009, 05:10 PM
I just sent a mould like that to Muddy Creek Sam. I believe it is an old duck decoy weight mould.

Hardcast416taylor
10-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Well this kind of settles the question about WHO is buying the coffee next time![smilie=b:Robert

AJ Peacock
10-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Would I be too nosy if I asked how much? For the right price that was a great find!!!

Well, I've calculated that I ended up with about 100lbs of lead and just under 70lbs of solder. About 40lbs of the solder is known alloy's. The rest is just a guess.

I paid $50 for the entire lot. A pretty good deal in my opinion. I'm gonna see if I can spread a little of the Tin around to pay for my find. Being unemployed, I've kinda got to wheel and deal to keep this hobby going.

AJ

TAWILDCATT
10-18-2009, 10:38 AM
the cast iron mold is not for ducks.its for the kitchen.its a corn bread muffin pan I have that and several other types.they are the best for ingots.I got mine at yard sales.here in the south they are very scarce.:coffee:

suprmatch
10-18-2009, 12:13 PM
nice score

jdgabbard
10-18-2009, 06:15 PM
That is a really nice score.

Charlie Sometimes
10-18-2009, 06:34 PM
I have an ingot mold like that- in WW it throws about a 2 pound ingot full to the edge.

I've seen them in antique stores being sold as "biscuit pans' for ungodly prices.

That's wher I got mine, but when I told them that it was an ingot mold for LEAD , I suddenly got it cheap- REAL cheap!

Those OATEY lead 5lb ingots are OLD- I had some back in the late 60's that a neighbor had given me. He was one of the old time plumbers and had them piled in his basement. He was in his early 80's then, and retired for a good while. Imade my first muzzleloader balls with that stuff.

Great find- enjoy!

monadnock#5
10-18-2009, 09:01 PM
I bought a mould like that at a flea market several years ago. When I asked the dealer what it was originally used for he said "I dunno, what do you think it was used for?". "I think it's a lead ingot mould" said I. "Sounds good to me!! $3.00 and it's yours". So I bought it.

I like the ingots it casts. They fit easily into my Lyman Mag 20, and they fit just right on my hot plate coils for preheating. They also pack into my cabinet much more densely than the cup cake style muffins.

One thing to be careful of though. While the rust is no detriment to the liquid lead, or to dumping the ingots out, it hides a lot of trapped moisture. Mine loves to spit hot lead, even after heating with a propane torch.

rob45
10-19-2009, 01:02 AM
AJ, that was a VERY good deal. Even if all the weight was just lead, you still would've made out like a bandit. But look at all that tin-rich solder! Congrats!

Bret4207
10-22-2009, 07:16 AM
That's great. I'm about as lucky. My neighbor and friend down the mountain runs the town's recycle center (garbage). We bring our garbage to a center like that here in my area of TN. He gives me all the ww's and lead in any form, which is quite a bit. Also I get from him all the reloading stuff that is thrown away and you would be amazed. I return the favors to him.

Joe

Back before we got all "environmentally conscious" we had a dump where you could find near everything an outdoorsy kind of scrounger could need. SInce we've gone to "transfer stations" that method of true recycling has disappeared.

evan price
10-22-2009, 09:56 AM
I've got that identical ingot mould. It's for rolls or mini-loaf muffin things. I paid maybe $5 for mine on eBay. Great for ingots!