PDA

View Full Version : Lee handles fitting RCBS and LYMAN

Dakoma
10-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Wish I knew the truth in this ,I bought a RCBS and need handles,anyone had any experience?:?:

jdgabbard
10-17-2009, 02:27 PM
I think others have said that they will with a little grinding. But they do fit the lyman molds.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Lee handles are well made and more economical to consider by a large amount compared to the prices for Lyman, RCBS or Saeco handles. In a mail order catalog such as Midsouth or Midway they are, or at least were, around $12. They will ft or can be made to fit the other brand molds. If the mold you have has side grooves that are smaller than the tongs on a set of Lee handles, then you can grind them down to fit. If you do not have a grinder an ordinary file can be used to do the job as the metal is soft, but its a lot slower. If you get another mold later on that needs thicker tongs you can snip and shape/file a set of shims out of aluminum or steel plate with holes drilled for the pins to fit in the space so that the same handles will then fit the larger grooves. I have done this with a few sets of Lee handles and everything works fine; no problems. LLS

Dutchman
10-19-2009, 09:01 PM
This information is current as of this week.

The Lee 6 cavity handles have fit all the Lyman 2 cavity moulds with no mods required.
They function perfectly. $12 from Midway. I just got 2 of them 3 days ago. I'm running four 2 cavity Lyman moulds. Two older ones, two brand new ones.

I have one RCBS 2 cavity 30-180-SP new. The Lee 6 cavity handles required .010" be removed. I milled it off in the milling machine. They fit perfect now.

If you're going to file or grind material off the Lee handles for RCBS moulds take the material off the BOTTOM of the handles. The moulds hang from the top surface. The Lee pivot nut is a self-locking nut. It comes off and goes back on just fine.

Only about 1 1/4" from the tip of the Lee handles needs thinning. I think I milled 1.5" back. Measure to make sure.

I have one new $30 Lyman (Saeco) double cavity mould handles that I bought from Mid-South. They are very nice and work most excellent but they don't work any better than the $12 Lee handles.

Dutch

randyrat
10-23-2009, 10:04 PM
I filed my Lee handles by hand with a 1 1/2 inch wide clean sharp flat file, it couldn't have taken me more than 15 minutes. It works great and the metal comes off like a breeze. .010" is about right
I used hammered flattened end 30-06 brass empty to clean my file.

snowwolfe
10-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Will these handles (with a little grinding) also fit the RCBS single cavity molds?