PDA

View Full Version : Colt Python value

MakeMineA10mm
10-16-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm helping a friend whose husband passed awhile ago. She has let all of the family and friends come through and collect whatever guns they wanted, and she is down to about a dozen left. She asked me to come over and help her with valuing them and disposing of them.

I haven't gone over yet, but I know one of the guns is a Colt Python. I've never owned one, but I've shot them and thought about plunking down the high dollars for one at the store on numerous occassions. Ultimately, I find the stacking of the trigger pull extremely detrimental to accurate shooting and completely foreign to my refined S&W trigger-feel tastes... Therefore, I've not studied the Python much.

Now, I know there are a few rare commemoratives when it comes to Pythons, but assuming this was purchased as a "using" gun, what standard models are the rarest or should bring a premium? Bright stainless and 2.5" barrels are what seem to me to be the least common and therefore worth some premium.

pdawg_shooter
10-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Myself I much prefer the "stacking" of the colt action. When you get familiar with it you can stop the trigger pull just before the hammer drops, line up the sights and shoot just as well double action as single action. I can shoot my Python way better than my S&Ws.

beagle
10-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Pythons are a class act. I've owned three and have managed to hold on to the 1958 vintage 4" blue all those years.

Of all the wheel guns I've owned and shot, the Python comes closest to a match quality gun that I've owned.

Mine has over 20 thousand rounds through it and has been reworked twice. That's the only drawback IMO as the timing seems to go about every 10K rounds and they start spitting lead.

The cylinders are a mite short for some of the longer bullets and my barrel likes .356" sized bullets and has digested 90% of it's loads from .38 Special cases.

Were it me and I had the opportunity. I'd grab it as they can be given a beautiful, light SA trigger pull./beagle

JIMinPHX
10-16-2009, 06:36 PM
I can't give you an accurate estimate for two reasons. I don't know enough about them & you didn't give enough details.

What I do know, is that several months ago, when I got a table at a local gun show, the guy sitting next to me got about $1,200 for one & about $1,600 for another. I don't know what made one worth more than the other. They were both nice shiny guns with real smooth hammer pull & great triggers. I hope that gives you a ballpark idea of what you are looking at.

MakeMineA10mm
10-24-2009, 12:26 AM
OK, after looking at it and handling it, I'm definitely interested!

It is a 6" bbl, bright stainless, and the serial number puts it made around 1986 or 1987. It's in very good condition. Box is gone. It has factory Pachmayr grips (with silver colt medallions that match the finish nice, but they'll have to be replaced with wooden grips...).

Anyway, trying to determine a fair value on this. Lots of BLUED or (brushed, as opposed to polished) stainless Pythons on GB and AA, but none with the bright stainless.

There's a guy on GB with modern (circa 2005) hard plastic boxes w/ paperwork and a set of colt wood grips. He's asking $150 for the set. Should I discount the price on the gun at least that much due to the missing box?

JRW
10-24-2009, 01:19 AM
There are several auction sites on the net, as well as Flayderman's gun values to go by. the box and other stuff, IMHO, only add to the value, not take away if they are not there.

I would guess, (with no other information than you have provided) you should be looking at $1400-1500.

The python was a handfitted revolver and was considered a match gun to compete with the SW's of the day. As was the Diamondback, in 38 sp and 22 lr.

JMHO,

snowtigger
10-24-2009, 04:00 AM
I don't have any idea what it's worth.
I always have a hard time buying guns from widows, especially if they are friends. I feel like I should pay what the gun is worth, and like everyone else, I like to find a bargain. On the other hand, I hate to beat a widow in the process. They usually sell their husband's guns out of necessity, and the Bible has lots to say about the treatment of widows and orphans.
I will usually just help them get the best deal they can.

MakeMineA10mm
10-25-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't have any idea what it's worth.
I always have a hard time buying guns from widows, especially if they are friends. I feel like I should pay what the gun is worth, and like everyone else, I like to find a bargain. On the other hand, I hate to beat a widow in the process. They usually sell their husband's guns out of necessity, and the Bible has lots to say about the treatment of widows and orphans.
I will usually just help them get the best deal they can.

I feel the same way, especially when she's asking for my opinion on the values, I give it to her, and then turn around and say, "I'd like to buy it from you..." Makes her wonder if I told her the right info.

I really appreciate your mentioning the comment about the verses in the Bible. I agree, and will be very mindful of that when dealing with her. I'm only interested in a couple of her guns, and I keep waffling on the Python.

I can say that she had another friend come in and right down what he thought everything was worth, and I've given her a range on the price something like this: "If we're patient and wait for the right buyer, we can probably get $XXX for this one, but if you want to sell it quickly and still get a relatively fair price, take $XXX minus this much." For example, she has a Freedom Arms 454 Premier Grade Model 83 with a 10" barrel. I told her that if we wait for the right person (someone who really wants that particular configuration), we could probably get $1600+ for it, but if she wanted to move it out quickly, $1200-$1400 would probably get it sold pretty quick.

I've been very successful giving her values and ranges that are slightly higher than what the other friend gave her, so I think I've been fair with her and she's comfortable I'm not trying to take advantage of her.

One thing that upset me was that a guy bought her husband's 1903 Springfield for $150. Of course, it was gone, so I didn't see the condition, but I think that friend totally took advantage of her, as even a bad-condition Springfield should be a hundred or two higher than that...

I'm trying to get a range on the Python for her. From what I've seen on GB & AA, plus the opinions you guys have given, and guys at a couple other forums I belong to have said, I think I'll tell her $1200 is top for the right person that really wants that model, but to sell it quickly $800-$900.

Duckiller
10-25-2009, 10:11 PM
If it helps, early this year I bought a 6" blue,early '90s python that may have been truely unfired for $1200.00. Manager of the gun shop knew the original owner and it looked unfired and in the original plastic box with the cardboard slide. First time I took it out to shoot the original owner was with the group. I offered to let him fire it. Anyway I had the money and I really like Python triggers.

MakeMineA10mm
10-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks Duckiller, yes, that helps.

That being a retail setting where you bought it, I wonder what the dealer gave the original owner for it, prior to you buying it? Didn't come up in the conversation with the original owner at the range, did it?

Duckiller
10-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Original owner got $1200.00 I paid Calif fees. This is a shop that my son worked at and I have been known to get employee pricing. As soon as the gun came in my son put it the back room and saved it for me. Owner had brought in other guns at the same time that the store made money on. In general shops try to make 25% on consignment guns.

shooterg
10-26-2009, 04:31 PM
I've seen 2 private sales of 6" blued Pythons recently(within 6 months). No box with either, but both very nice with the wood grips, one went $1050, the other went $1200(had extra grips with it). Everybody seemed happy. I'd think a clean stainless would be worth just a touch more.

MakeMineA10mm
10-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks guys!

I may revise my "sell-it-quicker" price up to around $1000.