PDA

View Full Version : Storage temperature....

Gunslinger
10-16-2009, 12:45 PM
My parents are building a new shop where I get a reloading corner. I recently bought a Dillon XL650 and am a little anxious as to the temperature during winter, I'd hate to see it rust!!

The shop is going to be well insulatet and with floor heatment, so I doubt the temperature will go much below 50 degrees.

And what about primers and powder?! Can I leave it in the machine at these temps or should the machine be emptied?

257 Shooter
10-16-2009, 01:39 PM
That tempratue will not hurt the powder or primers but for safety's sake empty the powder and primers. If you forget what is in the machine, it could lead to big problems. Keep your Dillon wiped doown and you should not have any rust problems.

454PB
10-16-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't think leaving powder in a measure is a good idea whatever the temperature.

My loading/casting room is unheated except when I'm using it. We have a relatively low humidity here, which is very important for preserving powder and primers, and certainly for preventing rust and corrosion on equipment.

During the hottest times of the year, my insulated loading room gets up to 85 degrees. In the coldest weather, it may get as low as 30 degrees. I feel these are ideal storage conditions.

Gunslinger
10-20-2009, 02:59 AM
Okay I think my machine will live through the winter. I had my mom sew a protective cloth for it, wadded with a cotton-like fabric... looks as if it will work. The cover is made from leopard-spotted velvet ha ha....

jonk
10-20-2009, 08:58 AM
It isn't the temperature but the humidity.

Not sure what is available in Denmark but a dehumidifier of some sort, either chemical or electric, would be a good buy for the shop.