PDA

View Full Version : Range Report Wednesday

Jeffreytooker
04-26-2006, 11:48 PM
I went to the range today. I shot the 91 Argie with 214 gr Egan bullets, Grays 24 and AA2495. On Larry Gibsons advice I loaded 1gr steps from 25 through 30 gr. Clean barrel no leading. At 50 yds all loads went 3 or four inches except 27 gr. Five rounds in 1 5/8", no flyers. I could not believe the change 1 gr of powder made. I will load a number of rounds at 27 gr and go back to the range in the next little while.

Also took my 7.5 Swiss today. They are having an old military rifle match on Sunday. They shoot steel plates to 500 meters. I loaded 147 FMJBT pulled bullets and about 40 gr of 7383. Lee dipper 3.4cc. With the sight on step 8 makes the 500 meter plate go "clank". Loaded two hotter loads. No pressure signs clear up to 45+ gr. Like others have said if you do not keep cartridge OAL short enough the rounds will not go into battery. When the bullet sticks and will not go into battery, and you eject the round the bullet may stay in the throat. This puts powder all over. MESSSSY. I had my 1/4" brass rod and removed the bullet. I will tune this load up a bit before Sunday. The price of brass withstanding the price to reload is ~ 11 cents a round. I like that.

Jeffrey