PDA

View Full Version : Brass Darkening?

Nora
10-15-2009, 08:56 PM
What would cause brass in a revolver to turn dark that is subject to prolonged chambering? (CCW) It doesn't bother me and will clean up with steel wool and a trip threw the tumbler. I don't see this in the magazine fed, just the revolver.

Nora

Edubya
10-15-2009, 09:25 PM
"What would cause brass in a revolver to turn dark that is subject to prolonged chambering?"
Moisture (perspiration).
EW

beagle
10-15-2009, 09:40 PM
May be some chemical in the solvent/oil you're using to clean and preserve with.

The old unplated police ammo use to really take abeating in this respect. That's one reason we see all the nickel plated .38 Special brass in existance.

MY dad worked for a prison once. Ever so often, he'd change out all the pistol ammo and shotshell ammo and he'd bring it home. We'd have a blasting good time when that happened.

This was right before I started casting and reloading and that was areal treat./beagle

NickSS
10-16-2009, 07:11 AM
Sounds like either moisture or some chemical reaction. I have not noticed it in my guns that I leave loaded but then the same ammo does not stay in it very long as I go the the range and blast it away about once a month and stoke up on new ammo.