PDA

View Full Version : hunting camp protection

jbunny
10-15-2009, 03:48 PM
this is what i use around our camp. it uses shotgun primers and hay baler
string tied to a nail or cotter pin for the cocking pin. i think most will get the picture.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/bearbangers.jpg
jb

2ndAmendmentNut
10-15-2009, 03:59 PM
I see the picture, but what exactly is it for? My guess is that it make a loud “Bang” should something walk into the string. Is that supposed to scare of the “something” or wake you up to grab your gun? Maybe both?

jhrosier
10-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Very interesting.
Home made or bought?

Jack

waksupi
10-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Ok, tell me. Has that ever scared a bear away? I've seen them take a load of birdshot in the butt, and only act mildly surprised, and keep on eating. Are your BC bears sissies?[smilie=l:
Bet it would sure bother someone bothering your camp, though!

Bret4207
10-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Lets make sure we don't give the impression we're using something highly illegal, aka- a "man trap". Sometimes we can give the wrong impression.

yondering
10-15-2009, 07:19 PM
WickedGoodOutdoors, those look pretty cool. Where do you get them?

jbunny, pretty cool little DIY project there. I'm assuming you made them? I guess that could be used to ignite something more spectacular, but then that might be a "destructive device". Should function well as-is though to alert you of unwelcome camp visitors.

jbunny
10-15-2009, 07:37 PM
WickedGoodOutdoors, those look pretty cool. Where do you get them?

jbunny, pretty cool little DIY project there. I'm assuming you made them? I guess that could be used to ignite something more spectacular, but then that might be a "destructive device". Should function well as-is though to alert you of unwelcome camp visitors.

all the stuff in my photo album is home made and mostly stainles steel. i use to work in a pulp mill.:bigsmyl2:.
another trick is moth balls. no moths don't have balls. we spread them all around our camp. bears don't like the smell of them.
jb

BruceB
10-15-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't have any faith in noisemakers for deterring bears.

I once stood toe-to-toe with a bear on his hind feet, just about my height. My Super Blackhawk carried five max-effort handloads (Old Model), and I fired THREE of those 429244s into the dirt between his hind feet. He thought about that for a few seconds (which seemed a lot longer, to me) and then dropped to all fours and sauntered away slowly.

He turned around and came back after moving maybe thirty feet. I fired one more round just over his back, and this caused him to turn about 90* and vanish into the bush. The fifth and last round was going to go into his head.

If a full-power .44 Magnum didn't dissuade him, fired repeatedly at five feet from his ears, I wouldn't think a primer will have much effect.

The real problem is just that bears aren't predictable in their behavior, no way, no how.

454PB
10-15-2009, 10:24 PM
There have been two grizzly bear encounters in Montana in the last week. One guy was hunting pheasant and killed the bear at three feet with his birdshot. The other was near Cooke City, and the "attackee" was wounded by his hunting buddy while trying to shoot the bear.

Story here: http://www.helenair.com/news/state-and-regional/article_12ba51ae-ba1b-11de-89c8-001cc4c002e0.html

leftiye
10-16-2009, 03:09 PM
I like claymore mines myself, maybe a "bouncing betty" or two.:kidding:

Yoou could - hire blackwter for security.

Blammer
10-16-2009, 04:26 PM
me thinks it's an early warning system for the sleeping campers.

JIMinPHX
10-16-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't have any faith in noisemakers for deterring bears.

You & I must have different definitions of "noisemaker". They usually listen to a 30 cal slug that is pointed toward their ear.:cbpour:

BruceB
10-17-2009, 12:33 AM
My initial effort on that occasion was intended to use the .44 as a noisemaker. I had absolutely no desire to kill that bear, and was trying to avoid doing so.

If the fifth round had been fired, it surely would not have been to make noise, and it would have intersected a vital portion of the critter's anatomy. Lights out!