PDA

View Full Version : Imperfect bullets and Resizing

Bigscot
04-21-2005, 01:25 PM
How much will sizing a bullet correct some bullet imperfections such as rounded or not well filled out corners.
I would assume that, depending on how much sizing is done, some imperfections would be removed, ie: rounded corners squared up.

Bigscot

trooperdan
04-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Tough being a "parent", isn't it? I had to cull a bunch of boolits I cast last week and I was feeling just like you, BigScot! I have a bunch with rounded bands that it was tough to put in the recycle pile. I'll defer to these experts on how much sizing might help but I'll bet they are going to say "Show no mercy, cull 'em like you mean it!! "

Swagerman
04-21-2005, 03:18 PM
I recently acquired a six banger Lee mould of 255 gr. .45 caliber. Lot of my first cast boolits were not too good, but kept on casting until I had about 300 of them.

Later I culled a couple of dozen or so, and decide to try and salvage them if possible.

Swagerman likes to swage boolits, so put these imperfect boolits nose first to my swaging die with ole Herter's No. 3 Super press and it smoothed out the wrinkles on the boolit nose on the ogive area with a flat meplat was improved to where I think they'll shoot OK.

Now, some of the side lube ring cuts are not perfect but they seem to take the lube OK in my sizing lubricator.

So, time will tell if they shoot good.

Swagerman

NVcurmudgeon
04-21-2005, 05:22 PM
I manage to use most of what I cast by sorting them into "match," "plinker," and "raisin" boxes. "Match" are perfect, "plinkers" may have minor imperfections, (but shoot better than I do) and the few "raisins" go back in the pot. I once shot a ten-shot, iron sight, group for a postal match that was 1.625" with what I thought of as plinkers. IMO, we tend to over-inspect for most purposes.

beagle
04-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Being a stickler on fill out of bands and bases is one of the keys to accuracy.

Now, if you're just blasting pop cans or shooting refrigerators with a .44 Magnum (yeah, guys in NC shoot refrigerators) you can get by.

The nice thing about casting is that you can always throw them back and don't lose anything.

Cull the baddies and make more./beagle

JBMauser
04-21-2005, 10:38 PM
One of the guys on the net recently posted his results of shooting bullets which he created flaws in the base and they shot as good and sometimes better than his perfect base bullets. To answer your question, I do not think you can improve a poorly filled bullet by sizing but I think many bullets we cull because of poor fill will do much better than we think. It has been proven that bullets with visible defects can shoot well and accurately. JB