PDA

View Full Version : Discussion on Case Lengths, Chamber Casts and Impact Impressions

texasmac
10-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Hey guys,

I finally found some time to complete an article that I’ve been working on for some time. It’s located on my web site (www.texas-mac.com). The title is, A Discussion on Case Lengths, Chamber Casts and Impact Impressions. It’s listed on the Article page. For a direct link to the article click on http://www.texas-mac.com/Discussion_on_Case_Lengths_Chamber_Casts_and_Impac t_Impression.html.

Let me know if you run across any major boo-boos. :oops:

Wayne

Pepe Ray
10-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Great artical and clearly written.
Pepe Ray

SharpsShooter
10-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Enjoyed the article. The book looks in too What other products do you intend to offer?

SS

texasmac
10-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi SS,

I stayed up way too late last night so I'm setting down to :coffee:

Concerning stuff on my web site, so far only my book on the Browning's & Winchester's BPCRs, links to my rifle sales on GunBroker and GunsAmerica and some related stuff such as the Browning Catalogs issued when the Browning BPCRs were being advertised. With the possible exception of a new article now and then, I currently have no plans to expand the site, but since it's already set up, my wife is trying to coerce me into adding a page for her line of jewelry, but so far I’ve been successful in resisting.:)

Wayne

Muddy Creek Sam
10-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Wayne,

Wanted to ask, why don't you cover the cambering of the 38-55 in your book? I just acquired a Browning 1885 Traditional Hunter in 38-55 and was looking at purchasing your book, when funds recover.

Thanks,

Sam :D

texasmac
10-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi Sam,

Good question and similar to ones I get a lot. Writing the book was a natural evolution for me when I became interested in BPC rifles for silhouette competition in late 1996. It spun out or my research on the subject and hence is focused on and limited to Browning and Winchester BPCRs. Due to time conflicts and demands on my time, it took several years to complete it. If I had expanded coverage to the full line of Browning M1885 the book would have never made it into print.

I guess you could argue the subject, but the Browning 38-55 Traditional Hunter is not considered a BPCR. It’s certainly not in the sense that Browning or Winchester uses the term. Although it can be used with black powder and heavy cast bullets, the rifle was designed (twist rate, etc.) to handle the lighter weight jacketed or even light weight cast bullets used for hunting.

Since all the Miroku manufactured Browning and Winchester M1885's have the same receiver design (with the exception of the extractor versus an ejector), the detailed disassembly and assembly instruction in my book will certainly apply as will a few other items including the general discussion on chamber terminology and may be worth the purchase. And, if you have never read the long article on the original Creedmoor matches, it's a "good read", but I certainly would not recommed buying the book just for the article.

Regards,
Wayne