PDA

View Full Version : Shrinkage: wheel weights vs lead/lino?

kamikaze1a
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
I've never casted with wheel weights so need some input. I use pure lead and add lino, 3:1 ratio. Just bought a mold that is said to give under-sized boo's with alloys like this but the manufacturer said wheel weights gives him good proper size. I thought wheel weights shrink more?

stubshaft
10-14-2009, 11:10 PM
The smallest diameter boolit is cast with pure lead. As you increase tin and antimony you also increase the diameter and lower the weight.

madsenshooter
10-14-2009, 11:24 PM
And the shrinkage of different alloys is pretty predictable. http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm In looking at the notes on the link, it seems someone has something backward, your alloy with more tin ought to give less shrinkage than WWs.. but perhaps not as the ration you're using might have a higher percentage of lead. I'm not going to calculate it out.

kamikaze1a
10-14-2009, 11:40 PM
The mold maker said he got test casting of .357 with ww but one of the buyers said his gave .3545 with his alloy. Not sure what mix the buyer was using...maybe I should find out.

Shiloh
10-15-2009, 12:37 AM
I was under the impression that Lyman dimensions were based on casting with the Lyman #2 alloy. Every lot of molds can and do vary, but it was based on #2. Is this not correct.

Shiloh

kamikaze1a
10-15-2009, 02:38 PM
I was under the impression that Lyman dimensions were based on casting with the Lyman #2 alloy. Every lot of molds can and do vary, but it was based on #2. Is this not correct.

Shiloh

This is a custom mold and the maker based the size on casting with WW. One of the buyers who received his mold before I did, cast with under-sized results. I just got a reply from him saying that he uses WW.

I'm wondering what I "might" expect if I cast with 3:1 lead/lino? Less shrinkage than WW? (I am hoping!)

fecmech
10-15-2009, 03:11 PM
T

I'm wondering what I "might" expect if I cast with 3:1 lead/lino? Less shrinkage than WW? (I am hoping!)

I would guess you would be very close to WW metal, about the same amount of shrinkage. If you want bigger bullets go to 2 to 1 or even 1 to 1 mix. If my math is correct using lino as 12% antimony and 5% tin a 3 to 1 mix should give you about 3% antimony 1% tin mix. I'm assuming you are doing 3 lbs. of pure lead to 1 lb. of lino.

kamikaze1a
10-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I would guess you would be very close to WW metal, about the same amount of shrinkage. If you want bigger bullets go to 2 to 1 or even 1 to 1 mix. If my math is correct using lino as 12% antimony and 5% tin a 3 to 1 mix should give you about 3% antimony 1% tin mix. I'm assuming you are doing 3 lbs. of pure lead to 1 lb. of lino.

Yup, 3 parts lead to one part lino. I hope to see for myself what size this mold drops...and really hoping I don't get undersized too... Sure will be a waste to have to use more than lino. With my regular molds, I can even stretch my lino to 4:1 with great results. Thanks!