PDA

View Full Version : 79k lbs of lead

SciFiJim
10-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Does anyone live near Kittery ME that can make use of this?

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2683174&convertTo=USD

79000 lbs of lead sheet that does not need to be mutilated before removal. It make my mouth water.

badge176
10-14-2009, 10:11 PM
:-( At least they haven't GIVEN it to the Chinese so they can latter "give" it back in childrens' toys, paint, etc.:x

Ithaca1911
10-15-2009, 01:21 AM
can y'all say "group buy" :-)

geargnasher
10-15-2009, 01:26 AM
:-( At least they haven't GIVEN it to the Chinese so they can latter "give" it back in childrens' toys, paint, etc.:x

....or make boolits out of it and give it back to us a few hundred grains at a time with express shipping. Kinda like happened in WWII.

Gear

Rattlesnake Charlie
10-15-2009, 09:43 PM
This is lead shielding for nuclear reactor compartments and components for the nuclear submarines previously built/overhauled at the naval shipyard there.

Unfortunately, I am in Colorado.

Sure hate to see this get away.

Wonder what the rail shipping rate is?

SciFiJim
10-15-2009, 09:52 PM
The pictures look like it is fresh from the manufacturer and still has the cardboard wrapper and on pallets. 79K would be two truck loads.

crgaston
10-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Wow, wow, wow.

If this was next summer I'd be so on this, given a decent price. I'm moving about an hour from there.

What are the odds it'll go for way less than market price? I have no idea.

Bloodman14
10-15-2009, 10:34 PM
group buy!!!!

madsenshooter
10-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Cool, now all we need is a big buy on babbit to mix with it!

JSnover
10-16-2009, 11:50 AM
5 days left and NO bids. They're only asking $150 to open. Anybody want to rent a truck with me?

autofix4u
10-16-2009, 12:43 PM
As best I can figure it would take 25,000 lbs of unique. That's just a little outa my budget........

thx997303
10-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I also say group buy.

ETG
10-16-2009, 01:53 PM
I would be in on a group buy.

sheepdog
10-16-2009, 05:05 PM
I would be in for nearly a ton assuming the price is mostly shipping.

grages
10-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Okay, how many USPS bulk rate boxes would that be at say 68# per?

1162 :shock:

I'd be in for 10 or 20!

Shawn

:cbpour: rules

no34570
10-16-2009, 05:34 PM
:groner:

I live in Australia and I'm just so envious of you lot,it makes you want to cry.:cry:
It's not fair!:-x

sheepdog
10-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Assuming these sheets are cut nicely enough to fit in snuggly, I think would be close to #70 a box assuming its pure lead or there abouts. Looking at about 29 boxes per ton.

crgaston
10-16-2009, 06:54 PM
WGO, have you got access to a truck or two? Smelting equipment? Or a way to cut the sheets into squares??

felix
10-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Perhaps the best way to do this accounting wise is as follows, by example:

Capital:
1. Investor x pays in 300 (showing only 3 out of ???? investors)
2. Investor y pays in 220 (an investor is anyone buying product in advance)
3. Investor z pays in 450
4. Owner pays in ....2050 (the sum of expenses)

Expenses to put product into boxes:
Cost of product..........1250
Cost of transportation...0100 (50 cents per mile fixed)
Cost of high school help.0500 (making up boxes and loading them)
Cost of lunches/coke.....0200
Cost paid by owner.......2050 (sum of all expenses listed immediately above)

Goods for sale, for real 1200 boxes (finally, filled at approx 70 pounds each)

Direct cost of one box:....1.70 (2050/1200)
Postage plus travel exp:..11.00
Cost of labor (about 10%)..1.25 (12.70 @ 10%)
Sales price per box:......13.95

Investors, including owner, pays the sales price. NO CHEATING!!!!

Send money back to investors when accumulated from sales.

... felix

TheCaptain
10-16-2009, 09:49 PM
This is very interesting!

I called a freight company for a quote to go from Kittery ME to my shop location in Bridgeport - - - they have not yet sent me a quote via Email.

I went to an online site to get an estimate.... As SciFiJim mentioned, it would take 2 truckloads - since I believe the max. pounds to load is 45,000. The estimate came to Truckload being around $677 and Flatbed being around $691 - - for 45,000LBS.

Now, for me, I think of the dog chasing the car. What does he do when he catches it?

As mentioned in some other posts, how to cut this stuff up into manageable pieces?

And I think is it great that we have a forum member (WickedGoodOutdoors) willing to take care of picking up this lead.

I did some calculations based on 2 online searches to get an idea as to what sheet lead is fetching.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/leadsheet.php
http://www.rotometals.com/Lead-Sheet-s/31.htm

At the aircraft site, they have a roll 1/8 x 36 x 48 inches which costs $543. Calculating the cubic inches, and equating it to the density of lead, I arrived at 88.5LBS. 543/88.5 = 6.14 per pound (approx).

At the rotometals site, they have a roll 1/8" x 4ft x25ft, and I converted to cubic inches. Revision: I made a mistake in my calculation of cubic inches (which you can see below in crgaston's post) and will go back to Math 101 !!!! But, anywhooo, the price of this roll is $1590. I don't want to stray off topic by doing more math... I think we all know if this lead can be had for a reasonable price, it's a good deal.

The auction has sheets 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick, most being 3/4 inches according to the description.

I don't know what thickness is used in construction of rooms housing X-RAY machinery, for example. I was thinking of a company like Exide coming in and making a big scoop! Or some other company, seeing the price of lead sheet. Even at E-bay prices, we're looking at around $63000, if not more - I've seen lead go for $1.00 pound - lots of money! A bargain for a company that has a use for this government surplus lead sheet.

It would be neat if we at the boolit forum can buy this lead - with all the expertise on the forum, cutting it up may turn out to be E-Z to do. I suspect that WickedGoodOutdoors may already have a plan of action. But, I just can't imagine that we at the boolit forum are the only ones taking an interest in this auction.

I will continue to monitor this very interesting thread, in addition to the auction.

With kind regards to all,

~ Kathie :Fire:

dominicfortune00
10-16-2009, 09:58 PM
If it's a group buy, I'm interested.

crgaston
10-17-2009, 02:02 AM
At the aircraft site, they have a roll 1/8 x 36 x 48 inches which costs $543. Calculating the cubic inches, and equating it to the density of lead, I arrived at 88.5LBS. 543/88.5 = 6.14 per pound (approx).

At the rotometals site, they have a roll 1/8" x 4ft x25ft, and converted to cubic inches, and also arrived at 88.5LBS. Their cost is $1590 which comes to about $17.97 a pound. YIKES!

Kathie, check your math...something seems wrong. 1/8x36x48 doesn't equal 1/8x48x300.

Folks, I am moving to Brownfield, ME this summer, about an hour from where this is being sold. We've got 40 acres on the Saco and are in the process of building a house. If it is within my price range, I may well try to buy this lot of lead. I would have to be low enough to pay for me driving from GA to ME and back, staying for a few weeks (at the barn on our land), and processing this down to saleable size for casters, plus trucking it to Brownfield from Kittery. And a babysitter to pick up my slack while I'm away. My plan would be to sell it here on CB first, then maybe truck some down here to sell, or else just sit on it till summer 2010. I can't stay up there indefinitely, and bringing back more than 1k pounds or so would entail renting a truck.

I am currently underemployed and so wouldn't be looking for investors, per se, as I'd need to make some money on this deal, but would be willing to figure out a substantially reduced price for folks who wanted to reserve some during the first week or so after the auction ends. And by substantial I mean substantial.:-)

WGO, you would be more than welcome to make some good money helping me deliver/process/mail this, if it works out.

All this, of course, is assuming I can get this within my price range. I fully expect to be outbid by a commercial foundry.

If that doesn't work, and someone else on here gets it, I'm in for half a ton if somebody can drop it off in Brownfield for me.

WILCO
10-17-2009, 02:27 AM
This is one big fish to catch.

TheCaptain
10-17-2009, 02:38 AM
Thank you for the correction!!!! A definite slippy-do on my part!!!!

With kind regards,

~Kathie

crgaston
10-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Gee, Kathie, looks like you're a nite owl like me!

For cutting it, I was thinking a hammer and chisel for the smaller sheets. The bigger ones, an axe maybe?? Chop it into strips and ship it by weight? Anybody else have experience or suggestions cutting sheet lead?

felix
10-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Use the MOAS. Go to Castpics (Projects) at the bottom of this page to have a looksee. Opening is 24 inches. Buy the furnace from us and have it shipped. Ladle makes 10 pound bricks which would slip into the proverbial 20 pound pot. ... felix AND Sundog

Storydude
10-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I can assure you this auction will go no less than Spot price.

Trust me on that.

Matt_G
10-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I can assure you this auction will go no less than Spot price.

Trust me on that.

Your probably right.
Spot price is around 98 cents per pound if I'm looking at the right data.

TheCaptain
10-17-2009, 12:33 PM
It will be certainly interesting to see how this auction ends! The auction has certainly created quite a stir on the forum and has made for interesting posts! My taste buds have been a juicin' !

In regard to ideas for cutting lead, I was thinking of an air-powered chisel..(?) ...

It is nice to dream........

Storydude
10-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Your probably right.
Spot price is around 98 cents per pound if I'm looking at the right data.

Local yard is buying clean #1Lead(no dirt/steel/paint or the like) @ .50.lb Selling at .75

I'm sure there are more than one smelter looking at that auction...Like Interstate battery, Exide battery or Optima.

Easiest way to cut that lead sheet is with a Chainsaw.

Really.

jr2nott
10-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm in this is a steel of a life time!

xr650
10-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Not here, they buy at .15 and are selling at .35. Just bought 500 pounds today.

Our scrap yard is buying for .10 and selling for .50.

TheCaptain
10-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Hi to all,

I think of the boolit forum as a market unto itself, as I do with E-Bay.

I am trying to ascertain just what price members here would be willing to pay (per pound) for the sheet lead being offered up at the GL auction site. It's good to know what spot prices are, what the various scrap yards are buying and selling lead for.... however, I am concerned with what you guys would be willing to pay!

I am still waiting to hear from a shipping company that the GL site suggests, so I will call them tomorrow to see just what is up. There is about 2 days, 17+ hours left to close of this auction.

This may all be moot since I mentioned in earlier post about some "big company" coming in and scooping up this 79K of lead.... I would be amazed if something happens to the contrary! At the right price, this lead can simply be moved from point A to point B at a profit (I am talking about scrapping). Years ago, I simply moved lead from the shooting range (point A) to a scrapyard (point B) and usually, at least quadrupled, or even quintupled my money since there was quite a demand for range lead (China was scooping it up).

But, to continue on with the "dream" deal of the century:

Using myself as an example, if I were to bid on this lead, what could I reasonably expect forum members be willing to pay per pound? (Excluding shipping - just what you think the lead per pound is worth to you). I do not think there will be a solitary bid. How high one is willing to bid depends upon a lot of factors, especially the costs incurred for moving, storing, processing, and return on investment, blah blah blah.

I am curious what the "market here will bear" in terms of price per pound of this sheet lead? In order for me to store it at the shop (inside), I'd have to approach my landlord with a "deal"... and would need to let him know how much I could expect to fetch per pound - and give him a good chunk of change in lieu of my paying rent/storage. I have to have good information for myself first, then pass along to him.

Also, I don't want to bite off more than I could chew. I still don't know the best way to cut this stuff up, but a chainsaw was highly recommended in another post - and I suspect this person knows what he's talking about, perhaps from experience!

I am on the fence on this, so I may end up shying away from bidding since I am not paying rent for the indoor area presently where this lead would be stored.

There is a lot of excitement and people wanting "in" ... but someone is going to have to bid on it. We had another member willing to do the transport and storage - just needs seed money; but I haven't seen anything further in regard to this in this thread. He lives near the naval base where the lead is at, and I gather he has the space to store the lead.

Again, this may all be moot since I agree with the comments made by others about the lead going for spot price, or a company like Exide coming in to scoop it up. However I am most curious as to what you guys would pay for this lead in the raw. To smelt 79000 pounds would be quite some undertaking!

I thank you in advance for your input.

With kind regards,

~ Fence sitter Kathie -

P.S. I may not be able to utilize the indoor space for storage (it could already be rented out - I just returned to the shop last week).

shotman
10-19-2009, 12:20 AM
First you all are not the only ones looking at the site. Next the bids are in and sealed. It will sell for more than .20 lb Thats a good chunk of change to part out at 50lb boxes. You can sell it on feebay for about .75lb. but your time is in the cutting and packageing.
Go to you local plumber and get it cheaper. All plumbers scrap the lead so you can get it cheap. I got over 1000lb in a 1 day trip and had less than $100 in it. 4 guys just give it away

TheCaptain
10-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi to all,

Thanks so far, for the great comments and pearls of wisdom!!

There is now one bid on the lead! Next bid amount is $190. Not sure about the comment pertaining to sealed bids; this particular event is an internet auction, not a sealed bid auction.

The way the building is situated in regard to parking and access points, led me to the thought of indoor storage... but there is one area where storing outdoors is doable. THANKS! In regard to shipping, the freight company's owner is working from home today with the estimates; I was told I'd get a quote sometime later this morning. Update: this just in .........Two truckloads, from the base to my shop is $850 per truck - based on 41,000 pounds per truck .

I agree that this could be a great deal for someone who lives close by to the Naval base; location - location - location !!!

By the way, what does WAG mean? Pardon this newbie, not up on all the acronymns!!! My guess is .... Wild A** Guess???? :lol:

Stay tuned.......

With kind regards,

~ Kathie

TheCaptain
10-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi again,

Once my paperwork for my tax and sales use certificate is processed at the GL site, I am going to bid on the lead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The customer service department is on MST, so I have to wait a bit (I am on EST).

I have a buyer for the whole lot (but will have some pallets off-loaded at the shop - just have to clear that with the landlord).

But of course, most likely I will be outscooped.... but I am at least going to throw my hat into the ring!!!

Stay tuned....

~ K

Storydude
10-19-2009, 10:19 AM
WAG=Wild Butt Guess.

:drinks:

EDIT: If this goes through, I"d be down for 100 Lbs or so. I can always use dead soft lead.

Typecaster
10-19-2009, 10:21 AM
It's now at $5300.

Richard

Ed K
10-19-2009, 10:27 AM
It's now at $5300.

Richard

Just noticed that - and with 2+ days to go nobody will be "stealing" this

felix
10-19-2009, 11:00 AM
That is roughly what Corky and I totally paid PER POUND for our 5K of WW + maybe 300-500 pounds of 60/40 AFTER total smelting about three years ago. And, that's not counting the work. If Cathy has a major buyer, she might come out OK. ... felix

dragonrider
10-19-2009, 11:58 AM
just checked it, 10-19-09, 12:00PM $12,500, two days left.

TheCaptain
10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi to all,

I am holding off on bidding, since my buyer is going to see about getting me a more better price on this lead. I told him I have no problem with bidding to beat the current bid of $29,500 (I'd still would make a great profit, and I don't have to do any buggy lugging) - - but I suspect this all may be moot since I suspect that the bid will go even higher... However, for me, the ball is now in my buyer's court and will still bid, if I can make a profit. If anything, I will bid it up so that the entity won't be stealing it! Win Win for me! And it's fun.

Stay tuned.....

I am going to bid on another auction which is interesting, and more doable!

Take care all.

~ Kathie

7of7
10-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Currently at 36K.... I liked it much better at 210.00!!!

TheCaptain
10-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Me too !!!

SciFiJim
10-19-2009, 08:33 PM
At 50¢ a lb it is approaching what some of us can get for locally. I originally posted this hoping that someone could get a steal of a deal. I didn't think to take into account that there companies that watch for this sort of thing and make a living off of it. It is fortunate that I don't have to make a living off of my hobby. I would go broke.[smilie=1:

SciFiJim
10-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Captain, have you taken a look at this one at Ft Meade MD.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2696590&convertTo=USD

As hobbyists we might be able to get in on one of the small lots because it might not be worth the time or effort for a larger company.

dsmjon
10-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Okay, how many USPS bulk rate boxes would that be at say 68# per?

1162 :shock:

I'd be in for 10 or 20!

Shawn

:cbpour: rules

I believe the OUTGOING USPS office in it's entirely would quit / go on strike after about the first week, LOL.

Matt_G
10-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Captain, have you taken a look at this one at Ft Meade MD.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2696590&convertTo=USD

As hobbyists we might be able to get in on one of the small lots because it might not be worth the time or effort for a larger company.

That one requires mutilation on site.

SciFiJim
10-19-2009, 11:21 PM
The Mother of all Smelters (MOAS) that Felix and Sundog built would make short work of it. Transporting it in ingot form after that would be easy if you loaded the ingots back on the pallets.

malpaismike
10-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Hello the camp! Day late and a dollar short, that's me. Had fun in the woods, tho. Sheet lead is fairly easy to work, with the right tools. I don't think United Rents rents sheet metal shears, which would make quick work of this problem. A band saw would work, also, with a bit of kerf loss. A shear is all but all profit.

I bought 300# of lead sheet xray takeout; it came beat up in bulk usps boxes, chunks too big for my pot. I cut them down with a Sawzall and a 4tpi blade; put a piece of cardboard under my vise and caught most of the filings.

If this comes together, I can handle at least 500lb.

Not to put too fine a point to it, but locally I've paid more than is reported herein for ww. I got 500lb in Tucson for .50/lb and felt like I got over. What do y'all know that I don't? thxnregards mm

Mike Webb
Sierra Vista, AZ

Matt_G
10-20-2009, 08:17 AM
It's not what we know Mike; rather it's the luck of the draw.
Some folks are real lucky and still get WW's for free.
Other like myself get them fairly cheap.
I'm lucky and have a tire store that will still horse trade with me.
On Saturday I got another full bucket from them.
Cost was a case of Bud Light.

I went ahead and melted it down when I got home.
I got 111 pounds of ingots out of the clip ons and 17 pounds of raw stick-ons.
Figuring in a little money for the propane to melt them and gasoline to get them, that lead cost me 18 cents a pound.

TheCaptain
10-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi,

Right now, our main topic of discussion is waiting for a bid of $41000.
I can fetch 55 cents per pound from my buyer (who owns a major scrap yard, with ships in docks that can be loaded right from his yard). I just got off the phone with him now and told him this equates to 52 cents a pound. With that, he said for me to wait until tomorrow morning to see what the market is like then. He will commit with a contract that I requested (confirming he will buy this lead at such and such a price). 55 cents equates to this: $43450 and if $41000 is top bid (which I kinda of doubt), and doing the subtraction (if I did the math right this time!) comes to $2450. And subtracting Freighting of $1700 comes to $750. I was not too encouraged but he was more optimistic than me, believe it or not. He may be able to do better than the 55 cents tomorrow, so we shall see. He may work with me on the freighting and I have a feeling he will give me some of the lead too (if this happens). But, I am still not too optimistic!

Great ideas here with power shears and sawzall. Good information!!

Because I would be obtaining my money on margin, my choice is to only scrap it. Bids of $25,000 or more require certified funds.

Now on to an off-topic plea for help!!! I am going to share with you a reply I got from the GL site in regard to my asking a question about whether or not electricity is available to run a chop saw to, WHAT I THOUGHT WOULD BE USED TO MUTILATE insulated copper wire that is currently up for bid (auction closes tonight)

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2700719&categoryId=1004

And I will note that the blue bold was the writer's emphasis!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Kathie A Powell,

Thank you for your email.

Per our Terms & Conditions/Scrap Sales:

DEMILITARIZATION AS A CONDITION OF SALE ("DCS") PROPERTY: Demilitarization as a Condition of Sale ("DCS") property are items that must be demilitarized pursuant to applicable Department of Defense regulations before title to the residue can pass to the Buyer. We will advise you of the demilitarization procedures for DCS property offered for sale on this website. Demilitarization will be effected by melting, popping, crushing, deforming, or otherwise mutilating the property so as to completely destroy its military purposes. The use of precision torch fixtures, saws, tools of any kind to minimize mutilation or demilitarization is forbidden. Buyers of DCS property are subject to surveillance and verification by the Department of Defense. Failure to perform the required demilitarization within 30 days of property removal may result in the Buyer being referred to the Defense Logistics Agency ("DLA") Office of Criminal Investigations ("DCIA") or other appropriate enforcement authorities, as well as the suspension of bidding privileges with us.

We hope this information has been helpful; feel free to contact us if you require additional assistance and have a great day!

Regards,

Customer Service Department
Government Liquidation, LLC
DOD Surplus, LLC
15051 N. Kierland Blvd, Ste 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Helpful??? Hmmmm I am just confused :veryconfu Edit: I am no longer confused :smile: I got clarification from the government and I have written about this in a post below. Because I have received an answer, I have deleted my plea for help.

With kind regards,

~ Kathie (off the fence now)

WILCO
10-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Demilitarization will be effected by melting, popping, crushing, deforming, or otherwise mutilating the property so as to completely destroy its military purposes.

I understood it as they want it demilled using methods that prevent it from being re-used or reassembled. Basically, you buy it, you destroy it to our standards or you get into big trouble.

TheCaptain
10-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply WILCO!

I got an answer directly from the government person in charge of this wire a few moments ago.

I read far too much into that ominous email!!!

The end of the wire needs to be cut off if there is a head.
Because the wire is already cut, no problem.
And there are only a few wires with the heads on them.

So, I was told that a pair of wire cutters will do it since the ones having heads are rather thin wires.

And, I could take away the stuff as is - and then make arrangements for the government person to inspect the wire on site within 30 days of pickup.

Phew.

Fire is out!

Take care!

~ Kathie

TheCaptain
10-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi,

Our auction of discussion is now at $46,435 slowly creeping up.

On the off topic of copper wire, I will be making the trip to Groton to pick up 1800 pounds - my first bid of $980 lost out due to "autobid", so the next available bid was $1070. I bid late this afternoon, prior to going to the scrapyard - and did not want to take a chance of getting stuck in traffic. It would be just my luck to encounter some mishap that would delay my return until after 5PM (which is when the auction closed).

This auction was more doable and I bid with confidence, having spoken previously to the government inspector who will be overseeing my pickup. I just have to snip off a few heads from thin cable, and that's it.

In these past few days, I've learned a lot. I have to thank SciFiJim for posting it here at the bullet forum, otherwise I would have not picked up 1800 pounds of insulated copper wire. About half of this I will be able to strip and get bare bright #1 pricing (right now I was offered $2.40 cents a pound - which is not bad!!!). I will process the wire and wait for perhaps a better day to turn it in. I've stripped thousands of pounds of the wire previously at my shop, so at least I have experience in this area.

It was a good day for me. [smilie=w:

And I shipped out 250 pounds of lead today as well.

And it will be interesting to see the final bid on the sheet lead.

With kind regards,

~ Kathie

lind0001
10-21-2009, 08:27 AM
the bid was up to $49,000.00 today. It is now over 50 cents/pound, w/o shipping. Looks out of reach for most of us. Well, back to scrounging at gas stations!

7of7
10-21-2009, 08:59 AM

TheCaptain
10-21-2009, 05:30 PM
....And that equates to 70 cents a pound.
Plus all buyers have to pay a 10% premium based on their final bid (per industry practice). So that brings final cost to about 77 cents a pound.

My potential buyer lost interest in the lead when I told him this morning that it was around 60 cents a pound.

Had it been a doable price, he would have sent his trucks up there to fetch it.

This was fun! And it lit sparks under quite a few of us for sure.

rob45
10-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Does anyone have any idea how much those pallets weigh? Plus the steel container that one of the lead blocks was in? Judging by the photos in the listing, there were over twenty of those large pallets, and it was my understanding that all of the packaging was part of the posted weight.[smilie=1:

Definitely something to consider when purchasing and selling something on a per pound basis.

TheCaptain
10-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi,

I agree with you 100% in taking into consideration weight of pallets. I completely lost sight of this in regard to the lead auction until after I spoke to someone in regard to a wire auction that I was planning to bid on.

When I spoke to the DOD surplus man in regard to this wire, he told me he estimated the 4x4 foot pallet and triwall to be 80 to 100LBS. I am glad I called him prior to bidding, to get clarification on item #1 below. This was my first auction, so I learned a lot. When I read the description of the auction, it was a bit confusing to me (due to being a very NEWBIE!!!):

Item #1: LOT (1, 800 LBS) APPROX COPPER WIRE ON (1) TRIWALL AND (1) HOPPER WHICH IS NOT INCLUDED IN WEIGHT OR SALE.

I have to brush up on grammar #1, since (prior to bidding), I misunderstood the above - and thought the triwall weight was NOT included!

Item #2: Approximate Dim. or Lot Cube: 10' x 6' x 5'

Yesterday, when making arrangements to go the sub base for pickup, I questioned him on these dimensions. If I did the math correctly, this approximate cube comes out to be 300 cubic feet. Doing the math on the pickup truck and trailer, (8 x 5 x 2 and 6.5 x 4 x 2), I came up with 132 cubic feet. But eyeballing the pictures led me to believe I had more than enough room to accomodate the wire. He initially said there must be a mistake with the dimensions; but then added: the hopper is not square; and these dimensions are an approximation - so that people can figure out approx. amount of space they need to truck the stuff away.

So, I am glad I asked, since I (in error) visualized the cube to be product only. I totally misinterpreted. I let him know I was new to this; and he was very helpful. I just wanted to be sure that I had enough room and, when I gave him the dimensions of the truck bed, he said he would forklift the triwall onto the truck. So that simplies things.

Also, one can do the demilitarization there on site (which he suggested when I first called him prior to bidding). He let me know that I simply have to cut off the heads (and that most of the wire does not need anything done to it). However, I can simply haul this stuff away, and do the snipping and he will come to my location to inspect the material. But we are both planning on the snipping to be done at time of pickup at the base next week.

Thankfully, I am not afraid to ask questions. As we all know, the only stupid questions are the unasked ones.

For me, this has been quite a learning experience.

With kind regards,

Jon
10-23-2009, 09:19 AM
It was in my neck of the woods, but more $$ than I have at the moment. I guess I missed this one.

7of7
10-24-2009, 08:51 AM
I checked today on the final price...$55,465.00

I have done some purchases through them for ammo cans... I figured out dimensions, and was going on the pictures they had, and ended up with about a hundred more than what I anticipated.... Luckily I had enough room to take them all, otherwise, I would have placed them with the other lot that someone else won...
I ended up selling them (after taking the best ones) in two weeks...

Woodsroad
12-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Time Left: Closed
Bid: $55,465.00