PDA

View Full Version : .40, PMC SP primers & what the S&W 610 saw

BLTsandwedge
10-14-2009, 04:11 PM
I bought a S&W 610 about four months ago and am still well into finding out what recipes it likes with cast (exactly 140 jackets have been launched, no more planned for the immediate future).

I did come across something interesting. I like Accurate powders for their fine granule composition; they meter well. Running near the top of the velocity spectrum for the .40 is AA#9- I'd been working with the Lyman #401638 over charges of #9 ranging from 8.7 to 9.5 grains. I'd loaded a series of rounds- about 20 each in increments of .2 grains. Due to the primer shortage, I've been using PMC small pistol primers purchased via gunbroker.com (at $.06 each, ouch!). The interesting part is that the PMC small pistol primers did not ignite these relatively heavy charges of AA#9. Every time I'd get a primer pop, bullet-in-barrel and an unburnt pellet of AA#9 in the case. Switching to WW small pistol magnum primers cured the problem. I find no recommendation from Accurate Arms re the use of specific types of primers for their products (ala Winchester's W296 & magnum primers).

Soooo.....I have more primers coming through- Magtech- but have no other SPs to try. Is this a PMC primer-specific issue or is this a general condition with the use of AA#9?

Many thanks,

Tom

richbug
10-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Some powders are hard to ignite. Do your boolits fit your throat tightly?

If you intend to use 40 cal brass, you can use small rifle primers. That is assuming it hasn't been "tuned" too much.

I get sub 1" 50 yard groups out of my 6.5" one. I am using OLLLLLLLD Win 540(out of rusty steel cans) that burns more like 571. Federal mag primers, starline 10mm brass, and The Lee 175 TC boolit.