PDA

View Full Version : Machine mould or buy another?

rockrat
10-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Have a 700gr boolit mould that MM made for me. Did OK in the 50bmg, but nothing spectacular. Tried the same boolit in my 50cal Sharps and get decent groups, but nothing near like the 750gr slug I shoot.
Would like a lighter boolit (600gr or so) to shoot out of the 50, but a PB, so was thinking about milling the top off the mould to get rid of the GC area. Would leave about a 610gr boolit. Have 450PB and the 750 is a PB, but nothing between them as far as weight goes.
Problem, is that I am not that great a machinist (shade tree variety) and would hate to ruin it.
Should I just sell it and order another from MM our go for it and see what happens? Kind of on that line-- yes/no.
Or is there someone on the board that can do this work? Thanks

No_1
10-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Sounds like a job for Buckshot!

R.

HORNET
10-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Before you get too frisky on re-carving that mold, you might want to PM Nate1778. He was asking the other day in the Cast Boolits forum about casting for the 50 BMG and asking about molds. He might want to buy that one for enough to take the sting out of buying a new one for a different design. Just 'cause your barrel doesn't particularly like it doesn't mean that his barrel won't.

jdgabbard
10-14-2009, 12:04 PM
If you decide to have it machined, as stated above, talk to buckshot. He'll do you right.

Bullshop
10-14-2009, 12:17 PM
I have had member Buckshot do several for me. There is two ways to go here. He can open up the check shank making a boolit the same length but slightly heavier or he can mill off the shank portion making a lighter shorter boolit.
If milling of the shank you should consider the length of bearing left and the change in balance. I have seen some designs for the BMG that have very long ogive and shortening the base may be detrimental to the balance and have an effect on how the boolit stays aligned in the bore. Opening up the check shank to full diameter will not change the length at all but will push the balance more to the rear. According to some of the hollow point guys that may be a good thing.
BIC/BS

Shiloh
10-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Sounds like a job for Buckshot!

R.

That would be my suggestion as well.

Shiloh

jdgabbard
10-14-2009, 01:46 PM
And the votes are in.

Buckshot wins by a landslide!

Wayne Smith
10-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Look critically at your design and think through what BullShop wrote. Simply cutting of the base of a boolit is not necessarially the best way to design a lighter one.

scrapcan
10-14-2009, 03:33 PM
for instance you might turn the one you have into a hollow point with flat base. But I have to say that sounds like you have to have a large pot and or large laddle to make those slugs.