PDA

View Full Version : Rem 29 TD shotgun bbl loose

Depreacher
10-14-2009, 09:57 AM
The barrel assy on my Mod 29 (bottom shucker) Remington is a loose fit on the frame. I adjusted the adjustment ring all the way out, then all the way in and it's still too loose. Bought a NEW ring from Sorryco and did the same with it. No luck! I then found some very thin steel wire from my customer hang on tags used in my small engine business. Wrapped the first ring of it about the bbl just forward of locking grooves , twisted it in a small knot which i pressed into the bbl/bbl boss junction recess. Still loose. Put on the 2nd wire. Still loose. Put on the 3rd wire loop, which gave a pretty tight lock-up. Will know what I have as soon as rain is over. Don't want to peen the metal, or put pocks on the inside surface with a center punch. The shotgun is just too nice, and a gift from an elderly uncle just days before he passed away. Anybody got a better idea????

These old shotguns of mine like this Rem 29 (1929-1931) and my 1919 Rem mod 11 have lots of nickel (so I hear) in the steel and are fairly rust resistant.

Gents, when you pick up an old shotgun thats been in your possession forever, and put up it to your shoulder and sight down the bbl., do you think about all those old hunting days 40 or 50 years ago?? Can you still see those Mallards folding up and smelling the burnt gunpowder??? The cold drizzle, or sleet in your face??? Aren't those memories great?