PDA

View Full Version : WW-equivalent arsenic-free alloy heat treatment

Stoats
10-14-2009, 08:24 AM
I have discovered that a wheel weight-equivalent alloy containing no arsenic will heat treat, but I have not yet managed to get it quite as hard as Linotype. After about 3 weeks it is just shy of Linotype hardness (relative hardness test using a bullet of each composition held base-to-base hit with a hammer).

Anyone know where I can get some arsenic-containing lead to improve the heat treatment? WW's are all zinc over here now...

Leadsmith
10-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Shot has it, magnum grade is very good.

Bob

257 Shooter
10-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Check out WW equivelent GB run by ZBench.

Stoats
10-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks, I'm over in Europe so shipping lead from the States is an expensive endeavour.

Anyone have any idea exactly how much arsenic is required? And how much is there in Magnum shot?

Shiloh
10-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Research here. It just takes a trace.
http://www.lasc.us/

Shiloh

Stoats
10-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Sooo, if magnum shot has e.g. 1.5% As & I use it at 10%, giving me 0.15% As, that should do it? The article gives no specifics.

454PB
10-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Is type metal available?

Linotype, monotype, and foundry type all contain relatively high amounts of antimony.

shotman
10-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Why bother? cast with the zinc and mix it, If you want them harder. It will mix but temp needs to be High to get the first melt . then it will cast fine.

sagacious
10-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Sooo, if magnum shot has e.g. 1.5% As & I use it at 10%, giving me 0.15% As, that should do it? The article gives no specifics.
Look further. Here are some specifics to help you determine your guidelines:
http://www.lasc.us/HeatTreat.htm

Heat treating lead/antimony/arsenic alloys is a highly useful tool for bullet casters. A BHN range can be selected for any given load/firearm combination we are loading for and BHN variation will be kept to an absolute minimum, the trick is to not over do it. Wheel weight alloy with an average composition of: 1/2% tin, 3-4% antimony, 1/4% arsenic and 951/4% lead can be heat treated to well over 30 BHN but it's a rare bullet that needs to be this hard unless your shooting very top end 454 Casull loads at 65,000 PSI.

So, .25% arsenic satisfies industry needs for lead strengthening without the need for heat treating (in the case of manufacturer-made ww's). One may expect that .15% could likely produce the results that you desire, after heat treating, and .25% As certainly will. From your description, you only require a small additional increase in hardness, and .15% just might be enough to do that.

Hope this helps, good luck! :drinks: