PDA

View Full Version : Can I use .284 sizer for 6.5 gas checks

corvette8n
04-25-2006, 04:30 PM
I need to install some gas checks on 100 commercial 6.5 140 gr. cb's that I bought, and I would also like to cast my own in the future. Does Lee make custom sizers?, How about 6.5mm molds for 6.5 Swede and 6.5 Carcano?

Bucks Owin
04-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Sounds doubtful, but I can't say "for sure". (Someone'll come along who's done it!)

6.5mm is .264" not .284"....(which is 7mm)

FWIW,

Dennis

Maven
04-25-2006, 07:27 PM
cv8n, No, you can't use the .284" die and yes, Lee does custom make sizer dies for a very attractive price (but so does Buckshot). However, before you do this, you'll need to slug the bore of the rifles in question to determine the proper dimension of the die or dies as it's possible that 2 (?) rifles will have differently dimensioned bores. You'll want to hold off on the molds for the same reason. And yes, Lee did produce some custom 6.5mm designs: A long, heavy Loverin type (Oldfeller may have designed it.); another by Jumptrap, a ~133gr. miniature of Lyman's #31141 and a 6 cavity job. (Don't recall who designed the last two.) All are gas check designs, btw. Unfortunately, 6.5mm molds are rare and those that cast large enough, e.g. ~.266"-.268", to fit your bores are rarer still. The 6-banger Lee and 133gr. Lee that I have are exceptions to this.

versifier
04-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Buckshot's custom size push-through sizers are of significantly higher quality than Lee customs, less expensive (much less expensive when you figure in Lee's outrageous S&H compared to Buckshot's), and his turn around time is way much faster. Lee's "regular" size sizers are the least expensive and available just about anywhere, though the "regular" ones are often too small for decent accuracy in many barrels, but then, often so are Lee moulds. Lee doesn't make 6.5mm sizers. For .264-.268" you'll have to go custom anyway, so start by slugging your barrel and go from there.

mooman76
04-25-2006, 11:07 PM
I got a custom .285 sizer from Lee. They charge $25+$4 for shipping and handeling. Takes about a month or less if you are lucky!

Buckshot, what do you charge? I have a couple sizers I need made!

Bucks Owin
04-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Gee, I just recieved a new pot for my furnace from Lee awhile back. Came exactly one week after I mailed the order and cost $4 to ship....

FWIW,

Dennis

versifier
04-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Bucks, parts are one thing, custom products are quite another. One month was the fastest I've heard - usually it's more like 6-8 weeks.
Moonman, I believe they are $19 including shipping, and they include the "pusher" thingy. PM him for a price list. The one he made me a few months back took two weeks, and it came cross country.

Buckshot
04-28-2006, 02:27 AM
...............The 170gr single cavity 6.5mm designed by Oldfeller is available from Mid-South atteh regular single cavity price. I drops sufficiently large to be useable in a Carcano.

...............Buckshot