PDA

View Full Version : Sorting WW

Enginman
10-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi Friends,

I was wondering? I have heard you all talking about sorting WW for lead and Zink,
are there markings on them to tell the differance or is it just experiance?

docone31
10-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Zinc is marked Zn, iron is marked Fe, or not, and zinc is also riveted. Believe me, some will get in the melt. Keep the melt low enough to melt the lead, and the zinc will float.
It still is a chore, but worth it.

OutHuntn84
10-13-2009, 10:12 PM
docone is right and I would like to stress LOW AND SLOW or you will accidently melt some zinc into your alloy

imashooter2
10-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Forget wasting time sorting and just keep the melt temperature down. The pot sorts them for you when the lead melts and the junk floats.

glenliz87
10-13-2009, 11:11 PM
You received good advice from the fellow casters. I use a magnet, anything that the magnet picks up gets thrown out. However, I found that this does not always work. I came across WW's that the magnet won't pick up and yet it would not melt with the rest of the lead.

Rock
10-13-2009, 11:23 PM
docone is right and I would like to stress LOW AND SLOW or you will accidently melt some zinc into your alloy

How would I know if I got some melted zinkers in my ingots?

10-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Enginman,

Not all zinc weights are marked Zn and not all are rivited to the clip, but most are. Steel are marked Fe. My smelting pot isn't large enough to toss them all in, so I sort. Sorting also removes the valve stems, cigarette butts, candy wrappers, valve caps, lug nuts, bolts, studs, dirt, and cuts down on the smoke and aroma. More importantly, though, sorting seperates the stick-ons, for their own smelting session.

After a bit, you'll be able to recognize the non-lead weights. Keeping the temperature low allows the few you will miss to float to the top.

When in doubt, a pair of cutters will help -- non-lead weights are very hard and won't be marked.

Read this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40765

10-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Rock,

Believe me, you'll know, as your melt will become oatmeal.

Rock
10-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Rock,

Believe me, you'll know, as your melt will become oatmeal.

So if my melt was bright and shiny on top and flowed like water, then I'm ok?

I'm just worried since I used high heat and melted 20 lbs of weights at a time.

I did flux with candle wax and got that liquid mercury look before I poured the ingots.

machinisttx
10-14-2009, 01:52 AM
Enginman,

Not all zinc weights are marked Zn and not all are rivited to the clip, but most are. Steel are marked Fe. My smelting pot isn't large enough to toss them all in, so I sort. Sorting also removes the valve stems, cigarette butts, candy wrappers, valve caps, lug nuts, bolts, studs, dirt, and cuts down on the smoke and aroma. More importantly, though, sorting seperates the stick-ons, for their own smelting session.

After a bit, you'll be able to recognize the non-lead weights. Keeping the temperature low allows the few you will miss to float to the top.

When in doubt, a pair of cutters will help -- non-lead weights are very hard and won't be marked.

Read this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40765

Not all steel weights are marked FE, but most I've run across so far are. I've also run across zinc and steel stick ons, some marked and others not.

10-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Rock,
You did good.

machinisttx,
you are correct about the stick-ons.

nonferrous
10-14-2009, 11:38 PM
If you have the time to hand sort ahead of time, it will save a little mess when smelting. Use a diagonal cutter on each weight and you will soon find out what to toss.
It won't take long and you will be able to tell the pure from WW alloy as well.

Enginman
10-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks a lot Folks for your input and Knowlage.

Enginman