PDA

View Full Version : New Guy-Fat30-MK4 No 1-Savage HELP!

Dave In The Desert
10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
This is my first post so please have mercy! I have a rifle many of us have..it's a Savage MK4 No1, lend lease made in 1942 with a 2 groove barrel. Groove dimensions are on the generous side..317..the throat specs are pretty large as well. I don't cast but instead buy from Dave at Montana Bullet Works. He has the Lyman 314299 and without modifying his mould will only drop (max) at .314. I know that at some point in time there was some sort of group buy for the "Fat 30" or "Fatter 30" mould specifically to address the oversize groove dimensions of the many SMLE's out there. Could any of the members suggest a company that would cast these for me? Or, would any of the members be willing to cast some of these for me? Of all my milsurp rifles, the Enfield, for some unknown reason holds some sort of magical attraction for me.....can't really explain it. When I open the safe I always go for the MK4! Any suggestions on bullet design or load date would be greatly appreciated!

richbug
10-13-2009, 06:02 PM
My "fat Loverin 30" that Buckshot did drops at .317"

Why not have your guy size down some 8mm bullets for you? The Lyman 323470 should be ideal for it.

docone31
10-13-2009, 06:05 PM
That is what I was going to suggest. Either that, or paper patch to .318.

Bloodman14
10-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Dave, if you can, get in on the 314299 Mod group buy in the "Active Group Buy's" section; if you can't, I would be happy to cast some for you. Be aware that the GB mold will drop at .316, but I will 'Beagle' them for you. I, too, am an Enfield fan (have 2), and would love to help any way I can!
PM me for arrangements.

Frank46
10-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm thinkin here that maybe a mold that casts schutzen boolit at around .321 or so just might be the ticket for sizing down boolits for those owners of enfields whose bore measurements end in the "TEENS" and some of them do weigh about 200 grains. So just a thought here. Frank

curator
10-14-2009, 06:35 AM
Dave,

None of my 2-groove Lee Enfields much care for Lyman's 314299 boolit, preferring instead the Lee 312-180GC design.. This may be to the larger diameter and shorter nose on the Lee. I can get both better accuracy and speed from the either boolit by using plastic shot buffer as a filler. Not only does the filler prevent early-gas blow-by and subsequent leading but it appears to limit base distortion created when boolits squeeze into these 2-groove Enfield bores that are 80% land diameter. Another alternative that works is forget the gas check and paper patch to .317-.318 diameter. This leaves room for the displaced lead and fills the generous throat as soon as the boolit leaves the case mouth. Both methods require a bit more of fiddly work that ordinary reloading but the benefits are there.

303Guy
10-15-2009, 04:32 AM
... base distortion created when boolits squeeze into these 2-groove Enfield bores that are 80% land diameter.I have found GC design boolits to produce the least base distortion. I can't get my two-groove (Long Branch) No4 to shoot with cast boolits - not at the velocity I want, anyway. Pity because it is accurate with J-words and is of course, my favourite, go-to rifle! Mine is sporterized and I fitted a very robust scope mount to it - and a muzzle blast/recoil suppressor. It's neat! But so far, hopeless with cast and not too good with patched.

Dave In The Desert
10-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great ideas! I'm going to try two of the suggestions. Gunnerd, I'll take you up on your offer of casting the Lyman 314299..thanks and I'll "PM" you for the details. Secondly, I also own an original Winchester 1885 HiWall in 32-40 (8mm). Thanks to Frank 46 for turning on the lightbulb! I normally shoot a Saeco 190 grain sized at .323 in the HiWall, but I'm thinking that if they were to drop at .321 I might be able to size them down maybe .003 (.318) and not destroy the crimp groove. The Saeco design is very similiar to the Lyman 314299...long bore riding design w/ a short nose. Here's the next hurdle..chamber dimension. Will I be able to chamber something in the .318 range?? Again, thanks for all the great responses. I had heard about how all the members were very helpful...now I'm a believer!

rvpilot76
11-02-2009, 04:17 AM
Measure the I.D. of a fired case, and add about .001" to that measurement; that's about as big a boolit as you'll be able to stuff in that case and still be able to chamber (it'll be a super-close fit).