PDA

View Full Version : Casting boolits in WV

223tenx
04-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Guys,
I'm new to Castboolits (the forum, not the activity). Age 58-retired from chemical industry. I've been casting since 1979 and cast for 38-357, 9MM Mak, 44 mag, 45 acp and Colt and about 5 rifle calibers. I've lurked on this forum for over a year and feel like I know most of you. GREAT FORUM! I was wondering how many WV members are here and where in WV are you located? I'm in south central WV. !2 miles west of Charleston in a little town called Saint Albans.

44man
04-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Pete, I live close to Harpers Ferry. WHY HAVE YOU LURKED FOR SO LONG? Your input is valuable and we hope you contribute and stay with us.

223tenx
04-25-2006, 08:42 PM
44Man,
I guess I lurked long enough to realize this was a really worth while group. It seems a lot of forums are dominated by a few and you dare not disagree with them. I actually enjoy the spirited banter that shows itself here and it keeps the forum honest. There's a lot of checks and balances here and it does nothing but add to the credibility of the forum. I don't know that I'll be able to add much, but I sure have learned a lot.

454PB
04-26-2006, 12:48 AM
I've seen some of the damndest arguements over the sillyest subjects here, but nobody stays mad (or backs down). Not only that, it tends to force us bystanders to think.

Most all of this bunch will do about anything to help you. As you've seen already, there are new ideas and better ways to do things here everyday. Jump in and share your knowledge and experience.

jar-wv
04-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Pete. I haven't been in the forum long and am just getting started on my casting. I've got lots of bullets ready to load, but haven't shot any of my own yet. I've done a lot of reading on the subject but have learned far more here than in any book. I live near the town of Clarksburg in North Central WV, but my work takes me pretty much all over the state.

jar

223tenx
04-28-2006, 09:34 AM
jar-wv,
I guess there's just three of us here from WV .

Antietamgw
04-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Well, I'm not from WV, but pretty close by in MD. Matter of fact, 44Man and I are just about neighbors, not 10 miles apart I'll bet. 44Man - we ought to get together sometime.

Buckshot
04-29-2006, 04:49 AM
Well, I'm not from WV, but pretty close by in MD. Matter of fact, 44Man and I are just about neighbors, not 10 miles apart I'll bet. 44Man - we ought to get together sometime.

You ALL should get together. Nothing like meeting other board members. Besides, you guys are all downhill from each other, aren't-cha?

Buckshot

44man
04-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Antietam, you must live near Sharpsburg. That is close and you are welcome to come over anytime.

223tenx
04-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Buckshot has it right. Everybody in WV is either uphill or downhill from everyone else. Or as we say it, up the holler or down the holler.

rsg3
04-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Hello fellow mountaineers, i just started casting boolits in the past couple months. I have been snooping around here for a couple years but trips to iraq have kept me from starting sooner. Anyways i am from Fairmont area, but for the time being i am stationed out in Ft Riley , KS. Hopefully this fall i will be back in WV though.

bpg76
04-29-2006, 01:50 PM
im in buckhannon wv.been lurking here a few months.havent cast yet been gathering all the information i can from here so i can hopefully get started soon

Antietamgw
04-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Buckshot is right, it would be fun for board members to be able to get together from time to time. The club I belong to in Frederick, MD opens to the public on weekends and I have access anytime. Maybe some of us can get together for some cast shooting, maybe a Mountain Oyster Invitational? 44Man, I live on South Mountain near Boonsboro. I'll PM you later on, I wanted to hear your thoughts on Lee Liquid Alox:-D

44man
04-29-2006, 05:52 PM
I sent you a PM.

moodyholler
04-29-2006, 07:37 PM
I live in Roanoke Va, but grew up in Alderson, WV. I still have farm there to camp on. Sharpsshooter is from Rainelle. Maybe he will chime in. Welcome aboard moodyholler

Buckshot
04-30-2006, 04:38 AM
.............bpg76, and rsg3, welcome to the board although I see you each have some posts to your credit. rsg3, I hope you don't have to go back, and they get that mess taken care of shortly. I WOULD be great if some of you local guys could get together and maybe the guys new to cast bullets could get a chance to see what it's all about.

Then we'd all have pictures to see and stories to hear about! I'd sure like that.

..............Buckshot

rsg3
04-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the welcome Buckshot. It doesn't look like i will be going back for a while. I am scheduled to get out of the army in September, still not completely sure if i am getting out or not though. thanks again for the welcome

bpg76
04-30-2006, 05:10 PM
thanks for the welcome buckshot.

44man
04-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Antietam, I have a 200 yd range in my woods. A lot closer then Frederick. Did you get me E mail?

SharpsShooter
04-30-2006, 06:11 PM
There are lots of us Hillbillys hanging around here 223TenX. As far as your comment saying that you don't think you have anything to contribute.....well thats plain hogwash!:mrgreen: I figure I can learn something everyone I meet......even if it's how not to do something.

Welcome to the Board

:coffee:

tall grass
04-30-2006, 08:33 PM
rsg3

How long have you been stationed here in Kansas. I live just over south of Manhattan. Much abliged for your sacrifice for us all.

Jim

rsg3
04-30-2006, 10:22 PM
I came to FT Riley in October, 2003 . I just got back from Iraq in January. I been trying to catch up on missed coyote hunting. I love it out here in the Flint Hills i just wish there were some mountains.

Antietamgw
05-01-2006, 02:52 PM
44Man,
Got your email late last night and responded to it. Weather was good this weekend and we were trying to get corn planted before I go back to my paying job on Monday. A 200 yd range sounds great! I used to have a range here on the homeplace until some developer planted houses all around me. An island in a sea of subdivisions... Even the groundhogs lost their fear of lead and we have to handle 'em in less interesting ways.

rsg3,
Thanks for your service! When you get home this fall come on up to the panhandle for some shooting, a real steak and maybe a cold one.

Glad to see all these guys within a few hours. The more I fool with this stuff the more I realize I have more questions than answers. There are no caster's in my local club - they look at you kind of funny when your '06 or hornet loads are lead. Some never even heard of the idea.

44man
05-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Mark, I sent you mail. You are welcome to come and shoot any time. You live CLOSE.

Cherokee
05-01-2006, 04:13 PM
rsg3 - Welcome! I well remember Ft Riley. I was there for the years 1966-1968. I had quarters on Custer Hill and did a lot of reloading, but non-training shooting was all off base at a gravel pit.

rsg3
05-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Hey Cherokee, i really like it out here at Ft Riley. Nowadays they got a 300 m range mixed in with the regular ranges for the soldiers to shoot at. All someone has to do is show up with his firearms. Targets and sandbags and tables are all provided for you. You can shoot from 5-300m. There is also alot of good hunting on post. Thanks for the welcome.