PDA

View Full Version : Puma model 92 bore problem

Rickk
10-12-2009, 11:02 PM
I have a Puma Legacy model 92 in 454 Casull. Yesterday I decided to slug the bore as it has not given the level of accuracy that I hear others talk about and I thought perhaps it needed larger boolits.

I prepared the bore by cleaning real good, swabbed with bore butter and tapped a pure lead round ball in from the muzzle. Had to tap it for about an inch, then it pushed very easily using a dowel, until just before the chamber. Then, it hung up and required a fairly heavy tap to get it moving. I cleaned the bore again, not getting much of anything. Tried the process a number of times with the same results.

Has anyone heard of this problem in a Puma and its possible remedy?

MT Gianni
10-12-2009, 11:28 PM
The thread constriction at the throat is a common restriction. The taper to a tighter "choke" at the muzzle will improve accuracy, IMO. Fire lapping or hand lapping will need to be done to remove the throat constriction.

750k2
10-12-2009, 11:31 PM
How many rounds out of it?
Prolonged strings?
Could be a carbon ring - JB bore paste

Rickk
10-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. I guestimate maybe 500 rounds fired total. I was hoping it was some sort of buildup just ahead of the chamber, but after soaking with Wipeout for an hour or so a clean patch came out still clean. If I understand correctly carbon or other deposits would at least discolor the patch.

Likely MT Gianni is correct. The throat constriction will require some sort of lapping. Leave the tight bore.

looseprojectile
10-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Sorry to hear that.
Before you get all wound up. Not a problem.
If you were talking about a .17 or .22 caliber it's no fun but in a .45 no problem.
If need be I can send you a PM or e mail and describe the simple and easy perfect fix that you can do at home. Will take a couple or three hours and materials you have on hand.

Life is good

Rickk
10-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Please do

looseprojectile
10-13-2009, 01:49 AM
The Rossi .45 Colt 92 I had briefly about a year ago had metal upset into the bore at both the front and rear sight dovetails. Evidently they machine the dovetails in the barrel and press the sights in with some force. I smoothed it out with a bore lap. You could easily see the dents inside the barrel before lappingit out.
I am getting 20 fps extreme spread with the single shot levergun.
Have fun.

Life is good