PDA

View Full Version : Ruger single-six sight question

Newtire
10-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Well, it finally happened. I went into the gunshop and a shiny used stainless .32 mag. Ruger Single-six jumped out of the case, snatched my bank card & forced me into buying it.

Now that I've shot it with a number of loads, it shoots to the left and low.

I wondered if anyone out there makes a type of clamp-on sight that clamps to the topstrap as it has fixed sights and don't want to send it off if I don't have to.

Besides, I don't see why someone wouldn't make something like this out of some channel material with some kind of clamp.

Just thought I'd ask. If not, guess I'll have to make something up myself in a year or so. Any ideas?

jhrosier
10-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Several of the custom gunsmiths will add adjustable sights to your gun, for a price.
It was running just shy of $200 last time I looked.

Jack

AJ Peacock
10-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Easiest way to adjust the single six (vaquero's too for that matter) for shooting left/right is to widen the rear notch in the opposite direction. It doesn't take much and can be calculated pretty close by measuring the amount of change required over a particular distance and taking into account the sight radius. I've had 8 different single six and Vaqueros 'adjusted' in this fashion and it works great. The factory rear notch is a bit narrow anyway for quick target acquisition.

I have a friend with a jig for holding the revolver and he just widens the notch with his mill. It usually only takes a few thousandths of an inch. I get mine shooting to point of aim and then widen them to the same width.

HTH,
AJ

Newtire
10-13-2009, 08:06 AM
I have heard of widening the notch and, looking at it, a little bit would go a long way.

I'll find something that fits the notch and take off a bit at time. It is a very narrow notch to begin with like you say AJ.

Thanks for the responses. I'll give it a shot.

Lloyd Smale
10-13-2009, 08:35 AM
bend the front blade over a tad. Be slow with it though as it doesnt take much and if you break it off it will need sending back to ruger to resolder.

Newtire
10-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks Lloyd,
I just went down in the garage and carefully bent it slightly to the left. Can hardly tell it's been bent. Will try it out Saturday and take the rags and pliers with me.

So, it looks like just a matter of filing it down now to get it to come up. I'm shooting 6.8 grains of AA#7 and a 32-98 SWC RCBS out of my Blackhawk for a real accurate load so thought I'd try that.

Before I go messing with anything on the cylinder-like enlarging the throats, I'm going to give it a try with some .312" and .311" boolits.

NickSS
10-16-2009, 07:06 AM
I have fixed the point of impact on seven colt clones by bending the front sight slightly. Worked every time. I would settle on a load first before you file the front sight. One time I filed a sight to bring the point of impact up on a load and then changed loads and the dang thing hit too high. I personally adjust the elevation when I really settle on the load. Once sighted in I use Kentucky windage when shooting other ammo.

Newtire
10-16-2009, 07:20 AM
I have fixed the point of impact on seven colt clones by bending the front sight slightly. Worked every time. I would settle on a load first before you file the front sight. One time I filed a sight to bring the point of impact up on a load and then changed loads and the dang thing hit too high. I personally adjust the elevation when I really settle on the load. Once sighted in I use Kentucky windage when shooting other ammo.
Thanks Nick, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I figure to sight it in to hit right on at 25 yds. and then take it from there with the Kentucky elevation.

sniper
10-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Filing the front sight on the side you want it move to also works. Little bit at a time! A swipe of cold blue, and you are back in business.

Newtire
10-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have 150 rounds loaded for it to try out tomorrow. Bound to get it dialed somewhere close.

Newtire
10-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have 150 rounds loaded for it to try out tomorrow. Bound to get it dialed somewhere close.

So, the winning suggestion(s) is.......bend the sight but don't file it yet. I have it hitting just a tad high at 25 yds. and maybe 1/2" left so can't beat that in my book.

I was using some differently sized boolits as the cylinder seems kind of tight. The .311's seemed to shoot just fine. I will have to slug the bore and then go from there.

I was using 6.8gr. AA#7 and an RCBS 32-98 SWC. sized to .313, .312 and .311.

The loads I made up with Longshot were right at the top end at 5.5gr. and like someone mentioned in another post, should have given the powder a new name "Loudshot". Not as ackyrate as the AA #7 load.