PDA

View Full Version : Can I load boolits from a "gas check" mold without the check at a lower velocity?

mcooper
10-12-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm wanting to get my first mold for .38/.357 and I'm looking at a lee 2 cavity to try out and be sure I like this stuff.

can I use a boolit intended for gas checks to be added at a lower velocity without trouble?

I probably wouldn't go over 1100 FPS with clip-on WW lead.

I did a quick search and didn't find anything that addressed my question.

XBT
10-12-2009, 07:37 PM
I’ve done it many times in both handgun and rifle with no loss of accuracy or leading. Many others on this forum have done it as well.

A few forum members have reported a loss of accuracy shooting some boolits without the gas check.

You will probably find they work fine without the gas check, but the only sure way to find out is to try them.

mcooper
10-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the information.

I was looking at these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=263780
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=188719

I think I'll get the non gas check one, once I start loading more and wanting to get full power .357 magnum loads I'll get the gas check mold in a 6 cavity.

I'm also looking out for a freechexII in .357 :)

ETA you and the members of this forum in general are GREAT! I've rarely found gun forums with this much condensed technical knowledge.

Salmon-boy
10-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Ok, I've got a stoopid question that goes along with this....

I've seen 30cal gas checks, 35cal gas checks but what gc's do .38's use? 35's?

Ekalb2000
10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
mcooper,
keep us updated on that second mold. I am interested in the way it shoots as well.

andy

10-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Salmon-boy,

A .357 Mag. uses a 35 caliber gas check.

tommygirlMT
10-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Gas check mold boolits without the check are basically a form of rebated boat-tail bullets. There is no ballistic problem with doing this. The problem with using gas check boolits without the check comes into play with lubra-sizers. As long as you tumble lube your boolits or use a push through sizer like the star --- no check, no problem. However, try to use a regular lubra-sizer set up like a RCBS or Lyman and things don't go so swell.

mcooper
10-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Gas check mold boolits without the check are basically a form of rebated boat-tail bullets. There is no ballistic problem with doing this. The problem with using gas check boolits without the check comes into play with lubra-sizers. As long as you tumble lube your boolits or use a push through sizer like the star --- no check, no problem. However, try to use a regular lubra-sizer set up like a RCBS or Lyman and things don't go so swell.

What if I'm using a LEE sizer?

ETA: the LEE is a push thru so I'm safe?

Bullshop Junior
10-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Yes you can

joeb33050
10-13-2009, 11:58 AM
I have sized many GC bullets, without GCs, in a Lyman 450, and never a problem. Shot 450-sized 311299s without GC in a 30-30 bench gun for years, won matches, no problem. Where's the problem?
joe b.

Salmon-boy
10-13-2009, 09:58 PM
462, thanks for the answer.

Mcooper, If you're using straight WWs, then I wouldn't worry about pushing boolits to 1200fps. I'm pushing the TL RN boolits with about 13gr of Blue Dot without leading... Dunno if I'm getting there though as I havn't crono'd them..

Tom W.
10-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Mcooper, I've had that Lee 158 gr mold since the dawn of time, and shot many hundreds if not thousands of bullets from that mold "as cast" with just LLA. It shot very well, too. I just bought a Lee sizer and some gas checks for it altho I can't remember why...

dromia
10-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Generally speaking there should be no problem shooting GC boolits without GCs.

However only trying it in your guns will tell.

A few of us at a a club I shoot at use the Soup Can boolit in Lee Enfields in a bench rest competition.

Their rifles shoot the Soup Can great without a a GC mine won't group worth a grimace without one but beats the socks of them with one, so much for ultra cheap shooting.

So test and try and then you'll know.

Thecyberguy
02-13-2010, 03:36 PM
What is a soup can bullet.....Please?

felix
02-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Wadcutter with round cornered front, or one having a slightly recessed and very short ogival nose instead. ... felix

Slow Elk 45/70
02-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Yes you can use the GC boolit without the check, how fast you can push it will depend on your alloy and the cylinder throats/ BBL on your pistol, you should slug these areas to find out what size boolit you need , you may be able to shoot these un-sized, they should be .001-.002 over size....there is a Freechek II in 357 on E-Bay as I speak, if you are interested....good luck

rob45
02-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Some of us bought a Mustang because we wanted speed.
Some of us bought a Pinto because we were gas misers.

Eventually some of those who bought the Mustang decided that they could not afford the gas.
Some of those who bought the Pinto decided that the pathetic performance had to be improved.

Modifications were made by both parties to accomplish a different result than what was originally intended. Some were successful; some were not.

If one is successful doing something other than what the original design intends, great.
If not, well, we shouldn't get too upset with the car; after all, we're the ones who made the purchase.

Correlations?

Thecyberguy
02-14-2010, 08:50 AM
I agree and would never get upset with poor performance. I have been watching this develop because I too would like to shoot low velocity loads in 30 cal rifles and all I find is GC molds.

Specifically I am talking Lee C309-113 out of a 30 carbine, 30-30, etc. I just want to make sure nothing is going to "hurt" the rifle.

Thanks for the great info and have a good 'un, Guy

rob45
02-14-2010, 09:59 AM
I agree and would never get upset with poor performance. I have been watching this develop because I too would like to shoot low velocity loads in 30 cal rifles and all I find is GC molds.

Specifically I am talking Lee C309-113 out of a 30 carbine, 30-30, etc. I just want to make sure nothing is going to "hurt" the rifle.

Thanks for the great info and have a good 'un, Guy

I like that little Lee bullet to which you're referring. Many a tree rat has fallen because of that bullet.

Here is one of the "sticky" threads for more info:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=65035

BTW, welcome to the forums![smilie=s:

Thecyberguy
02-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Rob45,
Thanks. I have enjoyed lurking around. I just recently got back into casting after a 24 year(or so) break. I am just casting a few, but I do enjoy it. Back when I did it before places like this didn't exist.

I mostly lurk here just absorbing some info. I am quite active at www.handloadersbench.com and followed a few guys over here.

Nice site. Thanks for the welcome and have a good 'un, Guy