PDA

View Full Version : Fast twist 22-250?

2ndAmendmentNut
10-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Not really planning on buying a new rifle any time soon, but as always just dreaming and thinking.

I like the idea of a 22-250 with a twist faster then the normal 1-14, but the only ones I have ever seen are custom rebarrel jobs. Are there any fast twist 22-250 available out of the box? If so who makes them?

Hickory
10-12-2009, 06:19 PM
I built a 220swift on a mauser action once with a 1-9 twist.
It shot sierra 69's very good out to 600yrds.
It did not last long.
The guy I was shooting prairie dogs with just had to have it.
The longer I turned him down the higher the price went up.
The price went up $400 more then I had in it.
I think we both won!!:D

StarMetal
10-12-2009, 06:40 PM
I know Savage was making a 9 twist one.

This is just one model they make: http://www.savagearms.com/12bvss.htm

Joe

Bullshop
10-12-2009, 06:46 PM
The 1/14"eems to be well standardised for the 22/250. Even Savage uses a 1/14" for the 22/250 but a 1/9" for the 223, go figure.
I put a 1/6.5" Walther barrel in 22/250 on a Savage action especially for the Siera 90gn ers but have not yet tried them. I am also very interested to see if the ploygonal type rifling handles fouling any better. I had a few of the Siera 69's lying about and the first group from the barrel went about a .3". I have been unable to get any of the 90's to try from Siera so I recently got some tools to make them. Hope to get lined out on that when things slow down this winter.
BIC/BS

Bullshop
10-12-2009, 06:49 PM
OOPS !!! Maybe my info is out dated. Sorry bout that. Looks like I need to update.
I sure would like to update with one a them new target actions with over size right bolt left port jobbies.
BIC/BS

tube_ee
10-14-2009, 10:30 PM
has a sporter-weight 1:12 twist barrel. So you don't need to go for a heavy varmint gun to get that twist. If you're going to use it as a field rifle, for calling coyotes or any other hunt where walking is part of the game, the sporter weight is a good, good thing.

Mine is the most accurate gun I own.

Potatoes are the best targets. Oranges also rock.

10-15 foot diameter clouds of fog. Good fun.

Great cartridge.

--Shannon

Heavy lead
10-14-2009, 10:36 PM
OOPS !!! Maybe my info is out dated. Sorry bout that. Looks like I need to update.
I sure would like to update with one a them new target actions with over size right bolt left port jobbies.
BIC/BS

Just got one in 223, it is available in a 9 and a 7 twist, I have the 9. The 22-250 is available in a 12 and a 9 twist. Both my current 22.250's (a heavy barrel Ruger and a Kimber) are both 12 twist. My 12 twist rifles are deadly one holers with 55 grain Noslers, as is the 223. Oddly enough one of my 9 twist 223's loves the 40 Nosler the best.

Ricochet
10-14-2009, 10:56 PM
I know Savage was making a 9 twist one.

This is just one model they make: http://www.savagearms.com/12bvss.htm

Joe
I have one of those, made about that time. In .22-250 the twist is 1:12". In .223 the twist is 1:9". At that time they offered no choices.

nicholst55
10-19-2009, 09:16 PM
I was very seriously considering building a fast-twist (1-7") .22-250 a couple of years ago, and solicited advice from a varmint hunter's web forum. A couple of people had tried it and given up on it. Everyone else recommended going with a 6mm of some flavor, as they will handle bullets as light as 55 grains, all the way up to 105 grains - depending on rifling twist.

Now, on the same board, there are several members shooting fast-twist .22-250s with seemingly good results. Go figure. I put the project on hold, but I will probably build a 6mm BR (Lapua version, with a no-turn neck) when I finally build the rifle.

CENTEX BILL
10-21-2009, 10:42 PM
I have had the idea of buying a 223 in 1/9 twist in a Savage and rechambering to 22-250 and changing out the bolt head. Might be cheaper than a custom rebarrel.

Centex Bill

StarMetal
10-21-2009, 11:07 PM
The 90 gr .224 bullets are only matched in BC with the heaviest of 6mm bullets. The 7 twist will definitely shoot the 90's. I believe the 22-250 has enough powder space to drive that weight, but will say 6mm's are hard to beat. Takes something like a 6.5 bullet to really beat them.

Joe

outdoorfan
10-30-2009, 10:52 PM
I have a McGowen 8 twist on my Savage action. Very limited load work-up had 75 grain A-maxes at .5 MOA or so. I personally wouldn't want any faster twist the an 8. Based upon what I've read it is a diminishing return to try to fly a 90 grain bullet because there isn't the case capacity to really give it a definite advantage over the 80 grain. And the 8 twist will stabilize 80 grainers.

Jaybird62
11-01-2009, 02:22 AM
I'm building a Savage 22-250 with a 6.5 twist for the 90 grainers. I've shot a friends and he's killing whitetails at 600+ yards with it. Golf-ball-sized exit holes.

GabbyM
11-01-2009, 12:39 PM
So what's happened to the stories I've read on high power rifle sites of 90 grain Sierra blowing up on the way to target from 7 twist 223 AR's. Unless the charge was reduced some. Did Sierra fix the bullet since it first came out?

StarMetal
11-01-2009, 01:09 PM
So what's happened to the stories I've read on high power rifle sites of 90 grain Sierra blowing up on the way to target from 7 twist 223 AR's. Unless the charge was reduced some. Did Sierra fix the bullet since it first came out?

Unless there was something wrong with the manufacturing of that bullet that is BS or myth...believe me....I'm pushed lighter constructed bullets (some not even meant for centerfire) out of my 7 twist Colt HBAR with no problems. Shucks the Swede has an equally fast twist, has anyone blown up any 6.5 jacketed bullets from one?

Joe

GabbyM
11-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Unless there was something wrong with the manufacturing of that bullet that is BS or myth...believe me....I'm pushed lighter constructed bullets (some not even meant for centerfire) out of my 7 twist Colt HBAR with no problems. Shucks the Swede has an equally fast twist, has anyone blown up any 6.5 jacketed bullets from one?

Joe

It was fairly widely disseminated on the match forums a couple years ago. I've not been following it.
The assumption was the jackets were either to thin or had a defect induced into them upon forming. Like a thin spot. No one knew at the time and I've not played around with high power of late so don't know if anyone is shooting them now. Could have just been a bad lot of bullets.
With the little 223 a 90 grain is heavy but a 22-250 has plenty of capacity to push one I'd think.
Now I'm wondering how barrel life would compare to say a Tubbs 6mm XC. Which in spite of big hype at first has barrel lives only slightly longer than the barrel burning 243. Both my .473" bolt faced varmint weight bolt guns are chambered in 243 AI. Hard on barrels.

StarMetal
11-01-2009, 04:03 PM
It was fairly widely disseminated on the match forums a couple years ago. I've not been following it.
The assumption was the jackets were either to thin or had a defect induced into them upon forming. Like a thin spot. No one knew at the time and I've not played around with high power of late so don't know if anyone is shooting them now. Could have just been a bad lot of bullets.
With the little 223 a 90 grain is heavy but a 22-250 has plenty of capacity to push one I'd think.
Now I'm wondering how barrel life would compare to say a Tubbs 6mm XC. Which in spite of big hype at first has barrel lives only slightly longer than the barrel burning 243. Both my .473" bolt faced varmint weight bolt guns are chambered in 243 AI. Hard on barrels.

Gabby,

I would imagine the heavier longer bullet to wear out the barrel only slightly faster. Life is too short to worry about wearing the barrel out, get what you want. You can always screw in a new barrel.

Joe