PDA

View Full Version : Move and a new job

MT Gianni
04-24-2006, 09:24 PM
I have had this in the works for about 6 weeks but was awarded a position with the same company I have worked for for the last 19 1/2 years. Same wage, benefits, no scheduled nights or weekends. It also gives me an opportunity to get out of what I consider a big city [Missoula] and move to a smaller community. The job is in Butte, hello Kev-in MT, and we would like to live over on the Jefferson river when the training finally goes through and I am replaced here, probably the end of July. I am excited but it means no NCBS this year and a couple of other vacation schedule remodels but minor for the opportunity to do something I have always be interested in. Kids are out of the house and home prices here have never been higher, we should do real well in replacing what we have. Gianni.

onceabull
04-24-2006, 09:52 PM
MT.Gianni: we will miss you again at NCBS,but understand your goals/objectives..Suspect you will have some respite there from the in -migration thats filling up the Bitterroot valley. ENJOY. Bill & Joy Onceabull:)

NVcurmudgeon
04-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Gianni, sorry to not see you at NCBS, but if it means moving to the fabled Jefferson River it will be a good trade. From the amazing size of Missoula when I saw it three years ago, you will probably do well on the real estate trade, too.

KevMT
04-25-2006, 07:43 PM
I have had this in the works for about 6 weeks but was awarded a position with the same company I have worked for for the last 19 1/2 years. Same wage, benefits, no scheduled nights or weekends. It also gives me an opportunity to get out of what I consider a big city [Missoula] and move to a smaller community. The job is in Butte, hello Kev-in MT, and we would like to live over on the Jefferson river when the training finally goes through and I am replaced here, probably the end of July. I am excited but it means no NCBS this year and a couple of other vacation schedule remodels but minor for the opportunity to do something I have always be interested in. Kids are out of the house and home prices here have never been higher, we should do real well in replacing what we have. Gianni.

Most folks not familiar with SW Montana would not realize the irony of moving from MIssoula to Butte. That said I happen to like it here in Butte despite it's "griityness" as described by some jornalists. I hope I will be here when you move to town Gianni. But my owm employment is probably going to end within a month or so because the grant that I work under is being terminated probably due to a shift in focus by the CDC toward bird flu. Anyway, drop me a PM
and I'll do whatever I can to help you with relocating and finding the best place to shoot.

KevMT

waksupi
04-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Gianni, I'll bet you like Butte, better than Berkley North. Lots of good shooting areas, beautiful area of the mountains there, and some great hunting and fishing near by. The Beaverhead and Twin Bridges areas are neat to explore. Have fun!

swheeler
04-26-2006, 09:52 AM
MT Gianni; you should be able to stop into the Helsenki and have a cold one with Evil- May the Lady watch over you!

Bullshop
04-26-2006, 01:10 PM
If you head toward Anaconda hop over the old pass to the big hole valley you will see why its my favorite place on planet earth.
Stop on top and check out the old mule ranch. The surrounding hills are full of Marcus Dailey (old ivory poacher) history. I have explored the area with metal detector in hand and always find treasure. I still have a sollid copper pendent I found that says " Anaconda, the capital of Montana".
You know Dailey was the copper king and that big stack you see was his.
The mule ranch area is a great elk hunting spot as well as my favorite on the other side of the valley on badger pass on bull road.
Enjoy the country brother theres none better on earth.
BIC/BS

shooter2
04-26-2006, 05:07 PM
The Big Hole valley is indeed nice. However, it is often the coldest place in the lower 48 and, now and then through the winter, you are snowed in. So, if getting to work in Butte is important, put it on your "places to visit" list. Fishing the Big Hole river is a treat and one of the few places you can still catch Grayling.

If you're thinking of small acreage, start looking as it is hard to find and expensive for what you get. River property is out of sight. One of the Microsoft billionaires bought a ranch south of Dillon, with Beaverhead River frontage, and put up a house that is rumored to have cost between 13 and 35 million. That's what you have to contend with. That said, you can have a lifetime of enjoyment exploring the area.

Interesting side note, Dashiel Hammet wrote a short story about Butte during the mining heydays. It is titled "Red Harvest". Taken from his personal experience as a Pinkerton detective. There were 16 murders in one night. At that time, it was the roughest town in America.

MT Gianni
04-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Dan, the Big Hole basin is one of our favorite spots but we usually come in from the Darby-Sula route. I look forward to more trips in from Anaconda or Divide. I shot a Moose outside Fishtrap creek and have missed the annual elk migration on several occasions. I have hunted outside P-burg for the last several years and that probably won't change.
S Wheeler, I watched Evel jump 18 busses in 1972 and that wasn't as interesting as the front speech that he gave [ but that was before I met others from Butte]. Gianni.

MT Gianni
08-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Updating things, we sold our house in Missoula to an excluded buyer the week before it was to hit the market. We lived in a 5th wheel for a month until closing on a place a couple of miles west of the Jefferson river and not far from the interstate. I have an acre +, great views, a 32' x 24' shop that is 15 1/2' tall with 12' doors. I won't be heating that sucker with out some changes. We have good neighbors, the guns have not been unpacked since June and the reloading stuff is in lots of boxes but it's startuing to feel like home. We got the internet hooked up tonight, have a real phone and even get to breath a little. Gianni.