PDA

View Full Version : Why are Lyman gas checks so expensive?

tackstrp
10-12-2009, 02:11 PM
I purcharsed a 1000 Lyman gas checks about 30 years ago, not knowing I needed the lyman 429244 gas check mold. Regardless they have set around all these years.

I purchased some Hornady 357 gas checks and it is easy to see the differnce in weight and thickness,between the Hornady 357 and Lyman 44 cal gas checks.

Looked on line and they are $46, Almost heart failure. Will count how many still in the box, sure a few got lost over the years and put on swap list.

qajaq59
10-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Probably because we keep buying them. But more and more people are beginning to make their own. And the tools for making them are improving, so that situation may change eventually.

Leftoverdj
10-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Current Lyman GCs are so expensive because they buy them from Hornady.

The older Lyman GCs did not crimp on and did not work very well. They still turn up now and then, generally at around $10 a box because shooters got disgusted and bought good GCs. The older GCs were packaged in either a tan cardboard box w/ a printed label or a black and grey striped box. In either case, they are better than nothing, but not by much.

Gator makes a decent check at a fair price. Check the group buy page to see how to get in on that.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Lyman Gas checks are made by Hornady. Hornady charges a lot for them and then Lyman puts their percentage on the top. Its a classic case of corporate ripoff greed. They think that we are idiots. Do yourself a favor and check out the world of making your own. You may have to lay out a few bucks but if you continue to roll your own and shoot then you will quickly get your investment back (after around a thousand gas checks and be a long ways ahead $$$wise after that.There is a lot of info on this forum for getting into making your own; just do a search and read some of the threads/posts. LLS

Wally
10-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Also, some calibers are no longer made as Hornady decided thay could do well making only the most popular calibers..try to find 6mm and many other less popular sizes... As Hornady makes bullets and they are the only producers of commercially produced gas checks..perhaps thay are trying to discourage their use? Maybe making bullets is more pofitable... Also curious why no one is importing them....

qajaq59
10-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Gator makes a decent check at a fair price. Check the group buy page to see how to get in on that. What does Gator charge? I keep looking in the GB but I must be missing them because I've never seen them yet. And do they crimp on like the Hornady or are they like the old Lyman's?