PDA

View Full Version : FREECHEX Question ?

Xcaliber
10-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Hello, newB here and want to say I'm thrilled of joining this forum and hope to gain a lot and add to the little I know. I've been out of the shooting ring for several years and keeping up with new products and such is new again to me. My question is about the FREECHEX tool . I've read some of the pro's and cons on it . Has anyone used this tool long enough that it still cuts out smooth or does it wear out after long term use. I know its a sml. hand run die of some sort that had
to be hardened for long term use. I use to buy commercial gas checks from Hornady . I looked at my storage and saw maybe a 100 or so left. Today , I had
noticed the price on line and at the local gun store and am mot willing to pay their prices, especially after learning about this tool recently. There fore my questions here before making a decision to invest in this tool. I'd like a little feedback on this if anyone can help answer.. Thanks a bunch.....[smilie=s:

Wally
10-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I have three that I have not had for long--seems to me that will last a long time as they are of tool steel and heat treated. They basically cost what oen box of 1,000 gas checks cost at full list price. I would dare say that one can make 10,000 gas checks before there'd be any noticeable wear on the tool. IMHO the cutter rod would lose its edge after so many operations... While I have not asked the maker (Charlie B.), I would think a few passes on a fine whetstone would restore it...or one could obtain a replacement. I can tell you this--I am not concerened that I'll wear mine out anytime soon.

StarMetal
10-12-2009, 02:05 PM
I have three that I have not had for long--seems to me that will last a long time as they are of tool steel and heat treated. They basically cost what oen box of 1,000 gas checks cost at full list price. I would dare say that one can make 10,000 gas checks before there'd be any noticeable wear on the tool. IMHO the cutter rod would lose its edge after so many operations... While I have not asked the maker (Charlie B.), I would think a few passes on a fine whetstone would restore it...or one could obtain a replacement. I can tell you this--I am not concerened that I'll wear mine out anytime soon.

Wally,

I make my own check tools and you're right about the disc cutter. I freshen mine up on the lathe. Your whetstone is a good way too. I see no wear on my cup forming die. I'm using aluminum for my checks

Joe

Xcaliber
10-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks , Wally. My other question if you don't mind is...If you have a bullet sizer and mind is an RCBS with a Lyman sizer .358 . If a person was to get a gas check maker. Would it be wiser to stick to the same thickness as the Hornady check. I have no idea at this time what the Hornady checks Mic. out. But wouldn't it be wiser to get material to use of the same thickness to use ? How much cost effective is it to do this way ?

Xcaliber
10-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi ! The reason I PM'd was because I didn't think you wanted that question asked and it was something you wanted to keep in the shade for now. I have noticed that you say you build your own tools. Sorry. I do welcome any thoughts and ideas for learning and hope to help also with good intentions.

Wally
10-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks , Wally. My other question if you don't mind is...If you have a bullet sizer and mind is an RCBS with a Lyman sizer .358 . If a person was to get a gas check maker. Would it be wiser to stick to the same thickness as the Hornady check. I have no idea at this time what the Hornady checks Mic. out. But wouldn't it be wiser to get material to use of the same thickness to use ? How much cost effective is it to do this way ?

You can try various thcknesses of stock to see what works best...you can use copper or aluminum--IMHO aluminum is prefereable as it is so much cheaper.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-12-2009, 04:20 PM
A lot of threads/posts have been put on this forum dealing with the materials and some of the probs that are encountered with making your own checks. I have used ordinary beverage can alu. Its around .004 thick and on the thin side. As such it will be loose although it can be doubled to give .008. It also can be doubled with something else like copper or brass. Most makers like a thickness of .010 or more. I also use ordinary chimmney flahing as sold by Depot or Lowes; its .010 and comes in rolls/sheets. You can also use sheet brass as well as copper. There are several other sources of materials that work well, ranging from alu beer bottles to cat food cans, etc. Duplicating the thickness of commercial gas checks is not hard altho some folks want thicker or thinner checks. It depends on what you need, like or what works best in your gun. its definitely the way to go economy-wise, and they work every bit as well as the commercial ones. LLS

Xcaliber
10-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Thats good to know. Would changing thickness and trying out different material have any effect on the way that it cuts. What I'm getting at is ...it would cut better on thicker material than say .002 or .003 . Is the tool cut or made to the makers tolerences or is it better to have it made for a specific thickness. If I wanted a tool , and said for ex. ..I am going to use .012 material , would the maker build it those specifications or would this be considered a custom job ? OR...
Is it as it sounds ...universal....? Just interested and wondering..?

JeffinNZ
10-12-2009, 05:18 PM
My FC II has done over 1000 checks and shows absolutely no sign of wear.

Xcaliber
10-12-2009, 05:51 PM
:razz:
My FC II has done over 1000 checks and shows absolutely no sign of wear.

Well. Thats as good an answer as I can expect. That will work for me.. LOL Thanks , friend.. be hearing from you.