PDA

View Full Version : Confession to make.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Today I put the original Hogue grip back on my GP100. I know, I know the grip really is hideous, however I have yet to find a grip the works better for me.

oldhickory
10-12-2009, 01:37 PM
No problem! My S&W 629 still wears it's factory grips! I've tried Pachmyers, and even a custom smooth wood grip, but I really like the S&W factory grips the best!

Trey45
10-12-2009, 03:30 PM
My ruger redhawk came with some kind of hideous rubber grips on it, I irdered original ruger redhawk wood grips and they're on it to this day. There is something to be said for some factory grips.

KYCaster
10-12-2009, 08:42 PM
This thread reminds me of Steve Martin's "Cruel Shoes" skit.

It's amazing how much discomfort some people will endure for the sake of appearance.

Jerry

Thumbcocker
10-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Beauty is as beauty does.

HeavyMetal
10-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Doesn't have to be about beauty!

I've got the Pachmyer's on most of my smith's and 1911'a but I have a Police Positive and a Diamond back and the Pachy's were just uncomfortable and pointed the gun straight down!

Both wear a set of wood grips, not factory, found an old set of Mustangs for the diamond back that fit perfect and I hacked up a no name set until the PP shot where I looked. they are ugly but get the job done!

oldhickory
10-13-2009, 10:19 AM
This thread reminds me of Steve Martin's "Cruel Shoes" skit.

It's amazing how much discomfort some people will endure for the sake of appearance.

Jerry

I don't care what it looks like, the Pachmyers feel loose and are too skinny. The semi custom smooth wood grips slip in my hand, but the factory S&W grips fill my hand just right and don't slip. I'm not shooting anything near max loads in it, a 250gr boolit at around 1100fps, that's good enough for me.:cbpour:

KYCaster
10-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Oldhickory, I didn't mean that as criticism, just an observation.

I haven't found anything I like better on L frame Smiths than the factory grips. I've also been known to attack grips with chisels, rasps, belt sanders and carving tools (bondo too). If it doesn't feel right, you won't shoot your best with it.

Jerry

oldhickory
10-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Oldhickory, I didn't mean that as criticism, just an observation.

I haven't found anything I like better on L frame Smiths than the factory grips. I've also been known to attack grips with chisels, rasps, belt sanders and carving tools (bondo too). If it doesn't feel right, you won't shoot your best with it.

Jerry

I know it wasn't criticism, KY. Those big-ole N frame target grips take quite the beating in the gun magazines from writers who try and sell for their advertizers. I've tried a few aftermarket grips on mine and keep going back to the factory S&W grips for some reason...The dog-gone things just feel right in my hand.