PDA

View Full Version : bad bad wolf

nekshot
10-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I bought a thousand wolf large rifle primers this summer. I was simply happy to get the kids plinking again with the 30-30's. They did not have any complaints, just big grins. I heard of these primers being suspect but I decided to work up some new reduced deer loads with them after all they fired. I took my sons 7mm08 out and shot from my bench. I squeezed off the first round and thought I was shooting my flintlock by mistake. The trigger snapped and I declare I heard the firing pin hit then go boom. I could not believe how bad the trigger got from sitting all winter. Almost every shot had this hesitation. I then got my daughters rifle shooting the same load and got the same results plus one did not go off. These guns have superb triggers and never ever have I had this with american primers.These are plinking primers only for me.

beanflip
10-12-2009, 12:58 PM
I was giving 2 boxes of the Wolf LR .....I dont think that I will use them!!!!!

Hip's Ax
10-12-2009, 01:10 PM
You have to be careful to seat the Wolf primers all the way to the bottom of the primer pocket. They are slightly oversize and may take more effort to seat completely. Also the configuration is such that the anvil is inside the cup instead of protuding like American primers so making sure they are all the way into the pocket is important.

Many match shooters are using Wolf primers with awesome results. If they were not worth the effort the Palma guys would not bother with them. I have a 6.5-284 and a 6XC on the way and a good friend and shooting author told me that I wanted Wolf primers for these rifles. He claims they are the best in the world. I bought deep into Wolf long before the primer shortage because of this advice. Once the stockmaker give me my rifles back I'll find out for sure.

I have not fired any Wolf primers yet except for test loads with small rifle magnum in my NM AR with promising results.

Only my opinion Sir, hope you don't mind.

captain-03
10-12-2009, 01:13 PM
I have not fired any Wolf primers yet except for test loads with small rifle magnum in my NM AR with promising results. Only my opinion Sir, hope you don't mind.

Same here -- I shot about 500 of them with "0" issues; actually, the results have been pretty good!

StarMetal
10-12-2009, 01:18 PM
All I've been using and the recent Swede cast HV groups were done with Wolf primers. I feel that they are just as good as U.S. primers and they are lot's cheaper enough that I'll probably never buy U.S. made primers again.

You fellows refusing to use them for whatever reasons are really missing out.

They are a tad fatter and that has worked out for me because I have some nice FA Match 06 brass that have large pockets and the Wolf's fit them just great.

Joe

Bullshop
10-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Since I dont know your load cant say but want to mention that too light a charge of too slow a powder will cause hang fires and misfires.
Also storing primers with some types of arisol lubricants and chemicles will deteriorate the primers.
Also I assume everyone knows not to touch your primers or any lube or moister on your fingers can foul a primer. I learned that the hard way many moons ago.
See you down river!
BIC/BS
BIC/BS

nekshot
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Ok, heres the deal. the load is 34 grains of 335 with 139 grain bullets,7mmo8. Every now and then a primer has the anvil fall out. I prime with my rcbs press. I like it because I can feel them go home. All pockets are cleaned before seating primer. I sure don't want to paint these primers in a bad way if it is my ignorance however I can not use these in good faith for hunting.

StarMetal
10-12-2009, 04:02 PM
I'll add nary a misfire yet too and I've been using this from the first day that Wideners has been selling it.

Joe

thenaaks
10-12-2009, 04:14 PM
i bought and have shot over 5000 wolf primers, in sp, lp, and lr. not a single misfire. a couple that didn't go bang the first time in my 9mm, but i am almost certain it was the primers not being seated all the way in some S&B brass...i have since been tossing the S&B in the brass recycling bucket. they are small compared to every other brand, and have tight primer pockets.

Hip's Ax
10-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Ok, heres the deal. the load is 34 grains of 335 with 139 grain bullets,7mmo8. Every now and then a primer has the anvil fall out. I prime with my rcbs press. I like it because I can feel them go home. All pockets are cleaned before seating primer. I sure don't want to paint these primers in a bad way if it is my ignorance however I can not use these in good faith for hunting.

First I've ever heard of someone with anvils falling out. Maybe you got a bad lot??

Hip's Ax
10-12-2009, 06:50 PM

I just did some checking on the Hodgdon website. 335 is ball powder and I'll assume your using jacketed bullets? Your load is below min according to the data on the Hodgdon website.

139 GR. HDY SP Hodgdon
H335
.284"
2.800"
37.5 2585 42,700 CUP
40.0 2730 49,400 CUP

37.5 grains is the suggested min. And, Wolf primers have a very "soft" ignition, maybe not the best for ball powder. The "soft" ignition is desired by match shooters but, they all use stick powder, and usually healthy charges especially the LR shooters.

I am, however, using Wolf SRM with WW748 with no issues. The Magnum Wolf's don't have more output, just a thicker cup.

Just exploring possibilities.

nekshot
10-12-2009, 07:33 PM
All right, you guys are starting to give me hope. I am going to load some hotter with H4350. I,ll shoot tomorrow if it doesn't rain and I'll report back. I really hope this is my ignorance because wolf is all I can find locally. I push the cover back to expose one row and turn it over into a plastic coffee lid cover. The anvil thingy came out unto the plastic lid with out me touching it. 4 out of approx 130 primers. Last time I had primer trouble was back in 1976 when cci had a bad run of bench rest primers. Oh well , learn something new every day.

thenaaks
10-12-2009, 07:42 PM
my wolf primers are 3 years old
you might be getting brand new manufacture primers. quality control might be suffering to keep up with recent demand....just a thought

TCFAN
10-12-2009, 09:43 PM
nekshot

Where in swmissouri are you finding Wolf primers ???............Terry

iron mule
10-12-2009, 10:16 PM
i have been using wolf primers for the last couple of years and have had no problems with them/may just be a bad group you have there// i remember about 4 years ago i had got some winchester primers and was having about 10 out of 100 that would not go bang sometimes the bad ones will slip thru
mule

nekshot
10-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Tcfan I got these at golden pawn nixa. I loaded a round with wolf primer and 41 gr imr 4350, 139 grain bullet. Took a load from last year,pulled the bullet , dumped the powder and put 31 gr of the same 335 powder from yesterdays load. I had taken the bullet out of round that did not fire and the primer was fired. A little pea size clump of powder at the primer end of load. I guess these loads were to lite and now the test. One bullet with suspect primer at mid range in power and another further reduced with yesterdays powder and a old primer. I shot the wolf load and it was perfect, shot the reduced load and it was perfect ignition. I believe the wolf primers are ok if loaded properly. I can deal with a primer missing the anvil as I look at all primers individually before it is loaded. Thanks every one for your input. Case solved, I think.

jonk
10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
I've had 1 or two misfires out of about 30,000 fired.

I've had the same with Winchesters and Remingtons.

If you have more I'd say it is the batch or the load.

wistlepig1
10-17-2009, 08:02 PM
FYI,
I got 5000 of the SR's last month and have not had one miss-fire. Like others, I to noted that they are just a little hard to seat. I use RCBS, APS hand primer.

Lloyd Smale
10-17-2009, 08:43 PM
the case of lg pistols i had would hang fire even with fast powders and i found a couple primers that were still in the package that didnt even have an anvil.

mike in co
10-17-2009, 09:14 PM
All I've been using and the recent Swede cast HV groups were done with Wolf primers. I feel that they are just as good as U.S. primers and they are lot's cheaper enough that I'll probably never buy U.S. made primers again.

You fellows refusing to use them for whatever reasons are really missing out.

They are a tad fatter and that has worked out for me because I have some nice FA Match 06 brass that have large pockets and the Wolf's fit them just great.

Joe

THE PROBLEM IS..THAY AINT CHEAPER ANYMORE...atleast not right now.

my cost on the wolfs went to over the selling price of american.......

wolf raised their prices 25%, and some distributors are adding to that.....

sure hope this settles out soon......

mike in co

StarMetal
10-17-2009, 10:49 PM
THE PROBLEM IS..THAY AINT CHEAPER ANYMORE...atleast not right now.

my cost on the wolfs went to over the selling price of american.......

wolf raised their prices 25%, and some distributors are adding to that.....

sure hope this settles out soon......

mike in co

Mike,

You are 100 % correct about that. They aren't any cheaper then American made right now, but the were. They are available though right now at about the same price...so I bought them as I needed them. When and if things get back to normal I'll go with lowest price first, then availability. If I do need a fatter primer I certainly will buy the Wolf.

Joe