PDA

View Full Version : WW and Pure Lead

dtalley
04-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Well I am still working on collecting WW and getting my equipment together and learning more and more from everyone here just reading post after post. I am close to getting started and my father-in-law dropped about 50 pounds of what I suspect to be Pure Lead. It is farly soft using the thumbnail test.

My Question to all you great people is, can I just mix it with my WW's, or do I need to buy some Tin to add to it?????

When I finally start casting it will be for 45Colt and 38/357 mostly for CAS.

Thanks to all

SharpsShooter
04-24-2006, 05:27 PM
I'd keep the pure stuff separate and use it to make alloy specific mixes. Straight WW will work just fine for your CAS shooting

blivetmaker
04-24-2006, 06:52 PM
You might just try to find a caster into ML. Front stuffers like prue lead and he might have some WW lying around to trade.

targetshootr
04-24-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm getting started too, gathering equipment and reading what l can find. Found a source for wheel weights today and thought, maybe a foundry could do the smelting. Is that the kind of thing they do?

FISH4BUGS
04-25-2006, 04:34 AM
I'm getting started too, gathering equipment and reading what l can find. Found a source for wheel weights today and thought, maybe a foundry could do the smelting. Is that the kind of thing they do?
I think they might, but unless you know someone there, I doubt they would take the time nor the effort to do that for you.
Smelting is just part of the deal. It is crappy work, but necessary. You can do it for little money if you scrounge yard sales. You can also spend a fair amount buying everything to do it.
There have been many threads here about smelting. I do mine three or four times a year and scrounge wheel weights all the time. $10 per 5 gallon bucket or a case of Harpoon Ale per 2 buckets is the price I pay. I consider myself lucky to get them.

Junior1942
04-25-2006, 06:47 AM
With lots of lube on the bullet, that pure lead will work fine to around 1200 fps max.