PDA

View Full Version : Venting issues

jtaylor1960
10-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Just got done casting a few bullets from one of my favorite 45/70 molds.It is a NEI 350 gr. which with my alloy drops at about 420gr.I had been having trouble with getting any good bullets from the mold.After a lot of thinking and reading and a little trial and error I finally got it to drop perfect slightly frosted bullets.I found that my new furnace with more temp helped but ultimately figured that the mold isn't vented real well.I had applied graphite mold release to the top of the mold under the sprue plate and between that and a little crud in the very fine vent lines on the mold it just wouldn't cast good bullets.So after reading posts on the subject and thinking it over I cleaned the crap out of the mold and turned up the heat and after about a half dozen bullets they were all keepers.Thanks for all who post their problems here and help me figure out mine!

beagle
10-11-2009, 08:08 PM
You might stone the top of the mould where the halves join at the cavities. Use a fine stone and hit it 3-4 strokes at a 45 degree angle until you get a "shine" you can see. This insures proper venting.

When I get anew mould, this is the first tuneup I do on it./beagle

Calamity Jake
10-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Yap that little bevel works wonders!!!!!!!