PDA

View Full Version : 5.7x28 shell scores OR. mule deer!

BT Sniper
10-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Well guys made it back from 10 days spent in high mountains of NE Oregon. A challenging season to say the least. Opening weekend found us with 5" of snow. Remainder of season was clear with bright full moon at night. Seemed like we just couldn't find the quality deer this year. Matter of fact it came down to Friday with only 2 days left to hunt for me and this little 2 point stepped out of the woods. Usually I would let them grow up a little but I had a new bullet I wanted to try out. The 180 grain 5.7x308 from a 300 win mag did the job. First kill for me with my home made bullets, a pretty neat fealing.

Elk season now only 2 weeks away for me.

Good hunting,

BT Sniper

For anyone interested in the bullet performance I can PM some better detailed (grusume) pics. Bullet hit neck, took out atleast 2 vertebrae and exited with a rather large hole.

bohica2xo
10-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Outstanding shot placement. Bang-flop = quality meat. Good job.

I wondered where you were, had not heard from you for a bit.

B.

StarMetal
10-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I know your satisfaction. Congraduations. Unless you have now build yourself a rifle, make your own bullets, and get yourself another deer. Makes you appreciate the harvest more when you know you make the tools to make it happen.

Joe:drinks:

BT Sniper
10-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I would sure like to put together a rifle of my own someday. Not sure about actually building the action, though that would be very cool, but find an old cheap Rem 700 or Savage 110 action and put together a riffle from there is a goal of mine.

Yep they don't go very far when hit in neck.

B, I'll get some info your way soon on some .429 bullets. I still have a lot of them just was pretty busy getting ready for this hunt and now elk season is just around corner.

BT

elk hunter
10-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Brian,

Congratulations on your successful deer hunt with your own bullet. I can say from personal experience that taking game with a rifle you built, with ammunition you loaded with a bullet you made, from dies that you made is is very satisfying.

Again, congratulations.

littlejack
10-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Outstanding Brian. Thats something to be very proud of.
Jack

sagacious
10-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Congratulations on your success. Well done!

kawalekm
10-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Congratulations Brian from me too!

I got a deer this season too, but with the .44 magnum extended length hollowpoint load I developed earlier this year. Not my own swaged bullet though, so I'm so behind. I'll try to check up with you next year.
Michael

wonderwolf
10-14-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm very curious about the performance, Did you recover anything? Feel free to send pics.

BT Sniper
10-15-2009, 02:35 AM
http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/

Here is a quick link to my photo bucket account. Has pics of carnage and many other of my projects.

Let me know if link or pics don't come up in my account.

Neck shot 50 yrds no bullet recovered. 180 grains @ 2900 fps from 300 WM did the job and then some. I was impressed.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Great sight. All the imput and advise from everyone certainly helped me acomplish this goal.

Good hunting,

Brian