PDA

View Full Version : Beagleing gone bad

phishroy
10-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi.
Well. Im having problems with beagleing a mold.
It’s a lee double cavity 457350.
The mold as it came from factory was dropping bullets very out of round. 458 at the seems and 454 side to side.

So I thought that the beagleing method would be ideal for this situation because is will expand the sides.

My problem is that the tape falls off after about the 10th bullet cast,
Im using aluminum duct tape.
The tape falls off and the glue witch was on the sticky side somehow gets all over the bullets.
So I get nice good sized bullets that are sticky.

How do you guys prevent the tape from falling off.

Springfield
10-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Never had the tape fall off my 6 cavity aluminum mould, maybe it is too close to the cavity and getting hot?

jbunny
10-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi.
Well. Im having problems with beagleing a mold.
It’s a lee double cavity 457350.
The mold as it came from factory was dropping bullets very out of round. 458 at the seems and 454 side to side.

So I thought that the beagleing method would be ideal for this situation because is will expand the sides.

My problem is that the tape falls off after about the 10th bullet cast,
Im using aluminum duct tape.
The tape falls off and the glue witch was on the sticky side somehow gets all over the bullets.
So I get nice good sized bullets that are sticky.

How do you guys prevent the tape from falling off.

IMHO since this is going to be permanent beagle, i would put 3 center punch
marks on both ends of the mould. make the center punch marks on the mould
half that has no pins or bumps to make it easy to dress it up for the proper
size. jb

geargnasher
10-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Not to second-guess you, but you ARE using the shiny, smooth tape that is actually sheet aluminum with adhesive on it, right? I know of at least one person who used regular "aluminum colored" fiber-reinforced vinyl duct tape. It don't work so well.

Aluminum tape should embed in the mould blocks to a certain extent, and the glue will cook on like your worst kitchen stove nightmare, except it's good in this case. Try again by putting the tape strips on the blocks and just holding them tightly closed while preheating the mould up to casting temp, the adhesive should bake on pretty quick and then the tape ought to stay on fine.

If all else fails, PM John (AKA "Beagle") and ask, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to give you some tips.

Gear

longbow
10-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Something you might try is silicone blue (the automotive sealer) and take the "sticky" off your tape or use unstickied aluminum, or brass or stainless steel shim stock.

I couldn't find the sticky aluminum tape in town so used plain old aluminum foil in layers stuck to the mould with silicone blue. It seems to work fine though I have only cast a couple hundred boolits with it.

Longbow

phishroy
10-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Not to second-guess you, but you ARE using the shiny, smooth tape that is actually sheet aluminum with adhesive on it, right? I know of at least one person who used regular "aluminum colored" fiber-reinforced vinyl duct tape. It don't work so well.

Aluminum tape should embed in the mould blocks to a certain extent, and the glue will cook on like your worst kitchen stove nightmare, except it's good in this case. Try again by putting the tape strips on the blocks and just holding them tightly closed while preheating the mould up to casting temp, the adhesive should bake on pretty quick and then the tape ought to stay on fine.

If all else fails, PM John (AKA "Beagle") and ask, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to give you some tips.

Gear

yes it is alum' duct tape, the problem that im getting once i heat up the mold the sticky side (glue) burns and becomes liquidy.
ive tried it 3 times (im stubborn) but seems like the glue gets goowy and dosent stick very well.
i think ill try a different brand of tape to see if it helps.

10-11-2009, 01:01 PM
phishroy,

I use 3-M tape. The only time I've had a problem with it not adhering is in the center section between the two cavities. Reckon it has to do with it being so thin.

I've found that being stubborn is a necessary trait for casters.

beagle
10-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Send me a PM with your snail mail and I'll mail you a piece of teh original stuff./beagle

phishroy
10-11-2009, 01:27 PM
PM on its way.
Wow.
Help from the original beagle.
It doesn’t get any better than this.
Thank you everyone for your help and quick response.
I have learned and still learning allot from this site.

geargnasher
10-11-2009, 03:18 PM
PM on its way.
Wow.
Help from the original beagle.
It doesn’t get any better than this.
Thank you everyone for your help and quick response.
I have learned and still learning allot from this site.

Told ya;-)

Only at Castboolits!

Gear

RU shooter
10-11-2009, 04:18 PM
another way to do this without tape is to use a .001-.002 piece of feeler gauge just cut it the size you want scisors and a VERY small amout of scilicon gasket goo,apply with toothpick for finish nail and place where you need it close handles and rubberband them shut for an hour and yer done.

Tim

arcticbreeze
10-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Another example of why CastBoolits guys are the best.

kelbro
10-11-2009, 07:39 PM
This IS a great site!

Jaybird62
10-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Try the metal muffler repair tape. It's made to stand up to the head genetated by an automotive muffler. I'm up to 800 boolits cast with a RCBS 44-200 2-cav and it's doing just fine. I bought a small package at Pep Boys for $2.75. The boolits were dropping a skinny .429, and now they're dropping .4325... perfect.

softpoint
10-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Foxworthy would say you might be a redneck IF you you used up a whole roll of aluminum tape just beaglin' up all yer boolit molds.....[smilie=s:

xr650
10-12-2009, 09:53 AM
The aluminum flue tape has a higher heat rating than the aluminum duct tape. Works much better.

JIMinPHX
10-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Instead of aluminum tape, has anyone ever tried to drill & tap one mold half for 3 set screws?

Cloudpeak
10-13-2009, 08:42 AM
"J-B Weld" works fine for gluing shims on mold faces, as well.

looseprojectile
10-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Try sticking plain aluminum foil on with Lee Liquid Alox. Won't burn off. I have several old Ideal moulds that I got used that have punch marks on them. Evidently some people were using the punch method more than fifty years ago.

Life is good

Frozone
10-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Instead of aluminum tape, has anyone ever tried to drill & tap one mold half for 3 set screws?

I used a dremel to remove about 1/3 of the V shaped ears from a lee mold then drilled tapped and added shims that wrapped around. It worked pretty well, but I can't be sure of wear yet.

JIMinPHX
10-26-2009, 08:17 PM
I used a dremel to remove about 1/3 of the V shaped ears from a lee mold then drilled tapped and added shims that wrapped around. It worked pretty well, but I can't be sure of wear yet.

Can you post a picture?

beagle
10-26-2009, 08:53 PM
I tried that and it works but the adjustment on the screws keeps changing due to heat and the banging of cutting the sprue./beagle