PDA

View Full Version : first score of wheelweights!!!

saz
10-11-2009, 01:12 AM
I took my dog out for a run earlier today and took a different route. I wound up running past a small service station and I thought, HMMMMMM, let me check. After talking to the guy in the garage he showed me the bucket of weights and told me to just come get them when I had my truck. After we got home I jumped in my truck and went to pick them up. Turns out to be 56 lbs of clip on wheel weights. Now I just need to sort them out. I saw a thread on here a while ago that had pictures and markings of all the different weights, basically a good reference as to what is good and what is not and I cant for the life of me find it again. I was really excited over my first score and just wanted to share. Now I need to hit a couple other places and find some more!

WILCO
10-11-2009, 02:00 AM
Here it is: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17681&highlight=wheel+weight+markings

And others:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19961&highlight=identify+ww%27s

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=45195&highlight=wheel+weight+markings

hoosierlogger
10-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Take him a box of donuts or some home made cookies every now and then, and you will more than likely have a wheel weight supplier for some time.

Matt_G
10-11-2009, 09:24 AM
You don't really need to sort them by hand. An easier way is to let the temp of the melt do that for you.
(Do sort out the stick ons if there are any. Melt them down separately. They are softer than clip-ons)

Clip-ons will be molten around 560 to 570 F. Let it get hot enough to where lead isn't clinging to the clips. According to my thermometer, this happens around 600 to 610 F.
All the zinc and iron weights will be floating with the clips.
Since zinc melts at 782 F your safe as long as you watch the temp.

Turn the heat down and just scoop 'em out with your slotted spoon.
Then you're ready to flux and pour ingots.
Heck of a lot easier than sorting by hand.

Just my lazy way of doing it. :lol:

BTW, +1 on hoosierloggers idea. A little grease can go a long way here.
My supplier gets Bud Light from me.

Off topic:
How's life at Fort Richardson these days?
I spent two years on Elmendorf, Fall of '78 to Fall of '80.
Been to Chilkoot Charlie's yet? :lol:

saz
10-11-2009, 02:16 PM
You don't really need to sort them by hand. An easier way is to let the temp of the melt do that for you.
(Do sort out the stick ons if there are any. Melt them down separately. They are softer than clip-ons)

Clip-ons will be molten around 560 to 570 F. Let it get hot enough to where lead isn't clinging to the clips. According to my thermometer, this happens around 600 to 610 F.
All the zinc and iron weights will be floating with the clips.
Since zinc melts at 782 F your safe as long as you watch the temp.

Turn the heat down and just scoop 'em out with your slotted spoon.
Then you're ready to flux and pour ingots.
Heck of a lot easier than sorting by hand.

Just my lazy way of doing it. :lol:

BTW, +1 on hoosierloggers idea. A little grease can go a long way here.
My supplier gets Bud Light from me.

Off topic:
How's life at Fort Richardson these days?
I spent two years on Elmendorf, Fall of '78 to Fall of '80.
Been to Chilkoot Charlie's yet? :lol:

Sounds like a good plan- work smarter, not harder......

I was going to bring him a bag of Moose Jerky I had in the dehydrator yesterday, it just wasnt done yet- that is the plan for today.

If you had been here in 78-80 you probably wouldnt even recognize this place. I am home on R&R right now after being gone for 8 months and I barely recognize it!!!! I have been up here since november 05, and was deployed from Sep 06- Dec 07, and again Feb 09-present, so I havent had a whole lot of time on the ground here but we LOVE IT!

Havent been to Chilkoot's, or any bar for a few years now. The wife and I figured out that we dont do so good at the bars. Had to grow up sometime!