PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated .45ACP machine-Opinions

bushytail man
10-11-2009, 12:13 AM
I want to get a progressive reloader just for the .45acp. Don't want to bother changing dies everytime I want to load. I have a 9mm Square Deal that I have not opened the box on in the 3 years I have had it( don,t load 9mm, but may have to now)
I would appreciate any advice from people that know.
I do load other shells and will get one versital machine for all of those, 38sp, 357, and 44mag.
Thanks to aLL FOR THE HELP.

Firebricker
10-11-2009, 12:29 AM
I would set up the square deal just to try it out if you like it buy another in 45acp. I've never used a SD but hear good things abought them. The 550 is the one for being versital that is what I use and have been very happy with it. FB

257 Shooter
10-11-2009, 12:35 AM
Bussytail man. buy another tool head for the Square Deal B. insert your .45acp dies and go to town.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/catid/3/pid/23510/Square_Deal__B__Toolhead

geargnasher
10-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Bussytail man. buy another tool head for the Square Deal B. insert your .45acp dies and go to town.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/catid/3/pid/23510/Square_Deal__B__Toolhead

+1. When you get it adjusted like you want it weld the dies in place and never worry about it again.

Gear

crabo
10-11-2009, 01:31 AM
I have 2 square deals. One for small primers and one for large primers. Takes very little time to change calibers if you buy the tool heads.

I keep each caliber in a small plastic box and it is easy to go from one caliber to the next. I also write the info on the side, such as pin numbers and shell plate.

cheese1566
10-11-2009, 02:37 AM
Check into the conversion parts- or list it for trade for a 45 unit on the selling forum...there was a LEE Pro 1000 on the selling forum not long ago at a good starter price.

All depends how fancy you want to go.

I have a Hornady ProJector and a RCBS AmmoMAster2. Nice thing about these presses is the ability to load most anything. Changeover takes sometime when dealing with powder charges and primer styles. Otherwise, shellplates and dies are nothing. They are nice too as they are a five station-for the addition of powder check dies or seperate seater and crimp dies.
I do prefer the RCBS as the primer setup is quicker to change over.

HeavyMetal
10-11-2009, 02:43 AM
Have my eye on a square deal that belongs to a friend who no longer reloads.

Game plan is to set it up for 38 wadcutter loads only for my 52 smith. I've used several sq deals and found them nice press's. Had they been on the market first I wouldn't own two 550's!

Think your on the right track plus you can by heads and conversion stuff if you want to do other calibers later, after all the world is a changing place!

bushytail man
10-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks everyone,
well I changed my mind. I am keeping the Square Deal B in 9mm (it.s paid for)
and I may buy a dillon 550 or some other qulity progressive for the straight wall cases, 38, 44, 357. That leaves me to buy a dedicated .45acp progressive. What to buy?

garandsrus
10-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Bushytail Man,

If you really shoot enough 45 to justify a dedicated press, you may want the fastest press available, which is probably a Dillon 1050. This will minimize your total reloading time or maximize your productivity, which ends up being the same thing.

The amount of rounds you could load per hour is more important than the time to convert the press, which is insignificant, assuming you run sufficiently large batches of ammo. The caliber conversions only take a few minutes in the total time it takes to load 1000-3000 rounds, which is several hours at a minimum. The key to minimizing the conversion time is to have additional tool heads so you can keep them set up.

I use a 550 and 650 to cover most everything.

John

evan price
10-12-2009, 03:23 AM
I use a Pro-1000 and I load for about a dozen calibers on it. It's not a Dillon but it sure works, and you can have a turnkey Pro1K for about the price of a Dillon conversion.

Lloyd Smale
10-12-2009, 05:56 AM
its a no brainer if you allready have a square deal. there a good little press and a fast press. I can load as fast on a square deal as i can on my lock and loads or a 650 with a case feeder. Just buy a conversion kit for the square deal. It will cost about a 100 bucks but its still cheaper then buying another dillon.

mike in co
10-12-2009, 10:25 AM
i know guys that load for 2-3 pistol calibers.....they mount a square deal for each caliber and never change a thing...just crank them out.
i have another friend that like 45acp a LOT....so he bought a 1050...just for 45.

mike in co

August
10-12-2009, 01:06 PM
I think the Square Deal is absolutely the best press if you want to set it up for one caliber and leave it that way. With a strong mount and a bullet tray, it can easily crank out 500 rounds per hour.

Changing your 9mm press over to .45 would take about an hour, including adjustments. You'll never have to fuss with it again, after that, except to change bullet seating depth.

For specialized caliber, the SD cannot be bested, IMHO.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I suggest you research the various presses available from the various outfits out there and buy what appeals to you.

Dave

bootsnthejeep
10-12-2009, 01:52 PM
I was going to say, he has a SDB in 9mm, but doesn't LOAD 9MM. Dillon 45 SDB conversion kit is $80. No brainer.

jcw1970
10-13-2009, 11:53 AM
I bought 5 old hornady projectors for the price of 2 new lock and loads. they work great but you have to make sure you get all the parts for them. hornady doesn't have the blast tubes or primer tubes. I've got one set up for 45,38,9mm,and 30 carbine. the last one i use for 270,308, and 30-06. i can crank out about 300 45's an hour but i'm really slow and always nervous about getting a squib so i take my time.

osage
10-13-2009, 03:43 PM
A few years ago I picked up a used Square Deal in 9mm and I added a used 45acp SD die set for less then new machine. A call to Dillon got the large primer parts and a few other items I needed. It was a easy change over to the 45acp.

Salmon-boy
10-14-2009, 06:53 AM
I'll throw in a +1 for the Lee Pro 1000. It's not blue, but you can't beat the price..

I have one for 9mm & .380, one for .38/.30M1 and one for .45acp. If I go smooth and steady, I can crank out ammo at a decent clip. Have been averaging 25 to 30 min for 100 .45's. If I really wanted to speed things up, I'd pre-prime, but as of now I don't feel the need.

TAWILDCATT
10-20-2009, 11:00 AM
The best progressive was the RCBS Green machine. but it was a dedicated machine.I have one in 38 special.with the addition of a lee disk measure it makes it great.rcbs should make it again.

zomby woof
10-20-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm going to take some flak here, but, buy a Loadmaster. Mine loads .45 the best. It's a little quirky. Once you figure them out you can fly with 45, and post crimp!!

Springfield
10-20-2009, 01:03 PM
If money is an issue then just convert the SD you have to 45 and sell the 9mm conversion parts to help with the money issue. If not, then just buy another SD in 45, that way you will have 2 of the same press, helps minimize the learning curve and keeps things simple. That way you will have a press with small and one with large primers. I personally have 2 550's, one in small primer and one in large. Easy to chage over to different calibers that way, the primer change takes longer than the caliber change.

cardonasharp
10-20-2009, 06:30 PM
I use the 550B from Dillon. I have a complete set up for 38,357,40SW,45ACP,223. All I have to do is change the tool head. It takes me 5 second to the tool head.

EDK
10-24-2009, 12:21 AM
I bought a square deal when they first came out (in 45 ACP.) I bought a 550 around 1991 and converted the square deal to 357. Sold the square deal and then discovered changing the primer system on the 550 was a PITA. Didn't load much 357 for that reason, but shifted the 550 from 45 ACP to 44s when I switched calibers. In August of 2008, I worked a bunch of overtime and bought a second 550B. Set the new one up for 44 and the older somewhat worn one for 357.

Get a 550 for whatever primer size you are going to use the most. Convert or sell the square deal (PM me I may have the 45 ACP stuff buried somewhere?) If you shoot enough, have a low level of frustration or have a couple hundred extra dollars; get a second 550B set up for the other size of primers.

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

Bloodman14
10-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Pro 1000, hands down.

omgb
10-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Wildcatt, I'd like to support your enthusiasm for the GM but guy, I just can't. My experience is just the opposite of yours. RCBS would have to be nuts to reintroduce that mechanical nightmare. They make great tinkerer machines and even better boat anchors:bigsmyl2: Using one is like putting the village idiot in a round room and telling him to pee in the corner. Funny to watch but frustrating as heck if your're the idiot. Obviously you like yours so more power to ya. keep in mind though that you are in a very very small minority.

GBertolet
10-27-2009, 06:28 PM
I too have a Green Machine in 45 acp. I agree RCBS would be nuts to reintroduce it. I have had nothing but trouble with the disc primer feed. I constantly jams and has to be cleared. Several calls to RCBS including a new disc at no cost, failed to permantly fix the problem. I give RCBS credit for trying though, but when you try to shine **** you still have **** when you are done. I wish I could convert it to a tube feed primer system, but the tube won't clear the powder measure rotor. Trying to cut the fronts off every rotor was not something I really wanted to do. I saw a previous responder to this post said they used a Lee powder measure on this machine. I wonder how they attached it? Would it clear a primer tube? Was it a drop on fit? Also the resistance generated by the sizer die at one end of the press, randomly changed the seating depth of the bullets considerably, at the other half of the press by springing the top plate. Possibly a third support column would have helped this. The only way to minimize this is to presize your brass in single stage press. But that defeats the purpose of a progressive machine. Other than this, it's a good machine! A lot of thought went into this design. Unfortunatly not enough! You don't see many in line loaders anymore, possibly due to this last problem.

TAWILDCATT
11-01-2009, 06:52 PM
a ha thats were old men beat young ones.I decap and clean then lee hand prime.
have the decapper out and size.just changed over to a lee disk measure with a riser.I load HBWC for my 52.with the change it works like a charm.I did remove that disk and put a tube on.that was better.called RCBS and the tec almost had a heart attack when I said tube.I have never blown a primer in 72 yrs.If they changed to tubes and place them in back with a steel sleeve the idiots might be safe.the only other problem I had was dropped powder when there was no case in the powder station .the lee measure cured that.so there:kidding:[smilie=1:

20nickels
11-01-2009, 11:45 PM
If it isn't already set up in 45 it takes only 5 min. to do so. [smilie=2:

Lloyd Smale
11-02-2009, 07:22 AM
your getting alot of recomendations from guys admitting there press are quirky (crappy) Ive used all of these presses and in my opinion if you want a progressive press theres only two real players out there dillon and hornady. Even these presses have there weaknesses but a guy can live with them. Sorry lee guys but im on a fixed income now and couldnt afford to double my blood pressure medication so there defineately out. The rcbs presses ive run have been bulit strudy but ergonomics were crappy and they werent as reliable as the dillons or hornadys. If i have to size then take the case and prime it separtely with a too i just defeted the advantage of loading on a progressive. Bottom line for me anyway is if i couldnt afford to buy a dillon or hornady id just go back to a single stage press. I see tons of guys dumping there lees and buying dillons but ive yet to see anyone (at least and sane person) that sold there dillon and bought a lee.

TAWILDCATT
11-02-2009, 12:43 PM
may be the people that buy Lee and dump them really dont under stand the machines.and dont have the smarts to operate them.since I started with a winchester tong tool I had the oportunity to learn step by step.I dont have a redding or hornady machine.I got most of mine before they had made theirs. I do have dies from all but redding.no redding simply because I did not get them.
all makes are good some fit in notches.some make good starting tools.seems like to many people cant figure mecanical tools out.
I am tired of the bashing,lets cut it out.if you dont like a brand shut up.there are non that are poorly made.

Trey45
11-02-2009, 01:03 PM
I have 2 Dillon 550's, one set up for large primer, the other set up for small primer. I have one Lee Pro 1000 that is a dedicated 45 Colt machine. It gets more use than any other machine i currently own. If I had it to do all over again, I'd still have both Dillons, and the Lee Pro 1000! I'm giving some serious thought into getting another Lee Pro 1000 just for 44 magnum now.

TAWILDCATT
11-02-2009, 03:50 PM
we will try again.

jmorris
11-03-2009, 08:06 AM
I’ll have to agree with others, if you have an SD you haven’t used in 3 years you won’t have to change dies from 45 once you set it up. I have two of them, as others, one stays set up for large primers the other small, great for working up loads or just a few hundred rounds.
If you think that’s too slow a 650 with case and bullet feeders will have you making 100 rounds in less than 4 minutes. It takes a little longer than the SD to change the primer system so you’ll want two of them too.

If you deal with a lot of crimped primer pocket 45 acp you would love a 1050. You really don’t want to change primer sizes on this one as you have to deal with the primer and swage system.

I have them all and still use my SD’s for some loads, they are simple and make good ammo.

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2009, 08:14 AM
I may not be the most intellegent person on the planet but im not dummy and have loaded and casted as much as anyone on this fourm . I made my life as a millright for 10 years and then an electrical lineman for the rest of my working days. Both jobs take a bit of mechanical aptitude. Sorry if you take my bashing of lees progressives as something personal but i said what i said to prevent someone from throwing there money away like id did on a tinker toy. Anyone that truely was mechanical would see the differnce in quality instantly. Bottom line pal is you havent the right to tell anyone on here to shut up. I wouldnt think of tellling you to shut up for posting your opinion. Ps i probably have boughten and still use as much lee stuff as anyone. I use more of there dies then any other but NOT there progressive presses!
may be the people that buy Lee and dump them really dont under stand the machines.and dont have the smarts to operate them.since I started with a winchester tong tool I had the oportunity to learn step by step.I dont have a redding or hornady machine.I got most of mine before they had made theirs. I do have dies from all but redding.no redding simply because I did not get them.
all makes are good some fit in notches.some make good starting tools.seems like to many people cant figure mecanical tools out.
I am tired of the bashing,lets cut it out.if you dont like a brand shut up.there are non that are poorly made.

Trey45
11-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Bottom line pal is you havent the right to tell anyone on here to shut up. I wouldnt think of tellling you to shut up for posting your opinion.

Glad someone said it.

mike in co
11-03-2009, 10:39 AM
all i know is that in alot less time than this thread has been up i loaded another 1000 rds of lrn 45acp on one of my 550's.

mike in co

TAWILDCATT
11-03-2009, 12:58 PM
I am sorry you feel that way,I apoligize for coming on so strong.the lee products are good products for starters,for those that want to feel their way.I dont consider them junk.I have never had a bad one.and a lot of others have good results.I started out with presses that would turn your stomach.there were no real good presses in common use until the 60s.I started in 1937.I still have what I started with.there retired now.you were right about tinkering with Lee but not junk.
I dont wish to have a war so lets place a truce on this.

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2009, 01:19 PM
ive voiced my opinion and i stand behind it as i would expect you to stand behind yours

mike in co
11-03-2009, 05:16 PM

i would be another to disagrre with you. the reason someone asked was to not make the mistakes of others....
i do agree not all have the mechanical ability to understand the process of a given machine. some have more money than common sense. there is a persong that bought a bunch of dillon 650's , bad mouth them and the company and promptly sold them all.....

you need a time out

mike in co

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-04-2009, 03:17 AM
I have 5 SDB's sitting in a neat little row on one bench. Layne Simpson told me once (20 years ago) that he had one in every caliber pistol round he loaded...
Mine are 9mm, 38spl, 40S&W, 45acp and 45 Long Colt. One day I am going to get a second 550 and stop the PITA switching from 223 to 308.
Dillon has a simple lifetime warranty...

Rich

jmorris
11-04-2009, 10:47 AM
you were right about tinkering with Lee but not junk.

Thats the same way I felt about my first car. Back then.

mroliver77
11-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I have 2 sdb and 2 550s. I keep one sdb set up for 45acp. It churns out nice ammo faster than I need it. For pistol it is the best machine in my opinion. I have a pro 1000 that works well when I can keep the primer feed operating. Rarely used anymore. two RCBS single stage and a Lyman spar-t turret get used alot for short runs and experiments. I try to stay open minded and call a spade a spade no matter what color it is.
Jay