PDA

View Full Version : Madsen Rifle

oksmle
10-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Looks as if I'll be acquiring another Madsen Mod. 58, except this one is missing the upper handguard. Gun Parts & Springfield Sporters don't list them. Any help? Thanks....

madsenshooter
10-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Good luck, probably easier to have someone with a pantomime machine make you one. There are some few parts floating around, I got a rear sight off ebay once, and there was a guy on one of the forums, can't remember which one, said he knew where there was one missing only the bolt. He was looking to profit from it though. I have sure enjoyed shooting mine in highpower competition and occasionally beating guys with M1As, Garands, and Black rifle. If I can find the email I got from the guy I'll get back to you. Tracked it back: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=80153&p=585154&hilit=madsen#p585154 I saw an American Rifleman from the early 60s I think, when they were first imported the were called Danish Paratroop Carbines, with no mention of the Columbian Navy. I found mine at a yard sale for $175 over 20 years ago.

oksmle
10-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Since my first rifle is complete I can use its handguard as a pattern. But I'd still buy an extra if one was available. Since there were only about 5000 rifles produced we just might have a parts supply problem.... Oh well.

jhrosier
10-11-2009, 12:47 AM
I had a Madsen 1958 back in the day and I really liked it.
Not enough, however, to keep me from selling it and regretting the sale ever since.
The only one that I've ever seen offered for sale locally was priced high and it looked like someone used it to beat a jeep to death.
Experience is a tough teacher.

Jack

madsenshooter
10-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I think some of them were assembled from parts. I see differences in the finish of the bolts and slight differences in the stocks, most notably whether of not it has the crest. Biggest difference in finish is that some have parkerized bolts, some are left in the white, like mine. Also different stock finishes, mine was originally nearly a blonde wood. That's epoxy impregnated wood by the way, very tough and heavy. If you're getting the one that's on gunbroker, there's more missing than the handguard, I'm sure you've noticed.

Hardcast416taylor
10-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Back in the `80`s I test fired and zeroed a Madsen for a friend, yes I do have a friend, that was afraid to fire it himself. It was in about 98% condition! It shot 150 gr. factory sp ammo to about point of aim at 150 yds, I had better eyes then. As I recall it put 20 rounds into about an 8 - 10 " group with Rem. rn sp ammo. Wish he would have sold it to me as I actually got to like that split ring rifle.:sad:Robert

oksmle
10-11-2009, 01:05 PM
No this is a local deal. The gent wants an SKS of mine that I have too much money in to ever break even on. I've had the Madsen apart & it's all there except the handguard.

madsenshooter
10-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Mine has no real collector value, I refinished the stock a dark brown, used teak stain I believe and I glass bedded the action and barrel, which certainly did improve the accuracy. Of course I did this before I knew it had any collector value, or for that matter exactly what it was, I found a little blurb in an NRA publication that said the rifles were well made, accurate and reliable. It would string shots vertically as the barrel warmed until I relieved a bit of wood under the bayonet lug. I've shot thousands of rounds through it and the throat is getting long now, but it still amazes people. Folks talk a lot about the smoothness of a Krag, but I believe the Madsen is much smoother. A load with 4831 is a real blast! Though my local club used to let me shoot it, others didn't like to be positioned to either side of me. I'll keep my eyes open for a handguard and will PM you should I run across one.

BerdanIII
10-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Ah, nuts. There's a bubba'ed Madsen in a local shop that I think was there when they opened the joint. Naturally, the stock is cut down and the bayonet lug has been removed. I was hoping sometime, somewhere to find a replacement stock.......

madsenshooter
10-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Just had a fellow the other day tell me that he'd seen a very good example of the Madsen rifle at an Indiana gunshow, asking price was only $400, so there are still some good deals on them, probably not online though.