PDA

View Full Version : Need inputs on a new mixture!

Gunslinger
10-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I have 2 different alloys I was given by 2 different guys. The alloys were made years ago, and they can't remember what's in them! I figure WWs and some lino, as that was what most people used in Denmark back then! Knowing this kind of hardness is not necessary for 9mm plinking loads, I made 2 test alloys consisting of 50% of the unknown alloy and 50% of indoor range scrap (measured at BHN 9.8). The first came out at BHN 15.5 and the other one at BHN 16.5! So far so good....

Here's what I'm looking for. I usually shoot a mixture of 50/50 range lead and WWs that I've measured to BHN 13.5, and I'd like to get close to this hardness. I thought about mixing the 2 unknown alloys with an equal amount of indoor range scrap... which would then put me in the area of BHN 15... i think! But as 13.5 suffices I'm considering adding and equal amount of clip ons.... which would make the alloy consist of unknown alloy, indoor range scrap and clip ons - 1/3 of each!

So what do you think guys?

cbrick
10-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Me thinks sure . . . Should work well.

The 9 can be pushed to 35,000 PSI but you said plinking ammo so any alloy in the 10 to 13 BHN should be fine and all of your alloys will last longer by not using up any one at a time.

Let us know how it does.

Rick

Edubya
10-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I have found that it depends on the bullet mould. Some of my moulds can use a 10-13 BHN but a couple of them demand a 15+ BHN to operate without leading. Heavier bullets, although, are shot at slower velocity, (such as SAECO 929, 147 gr) require a higher BHN. The SAECO 384 can get by with a 12 BHN at higher speeds.
I would suggest that you try a few at each level, just like a powder charge. Maybe you can find a combination for your pistol and mould and BHN that will satisfy all of your needs.; I haven't.
EW

Edubya
10-10-2009, 10:53 PM
I should also include the sizing: Some barrels want a .358" head and some won't accept anything over a .356". The challenges lay before you like no other hobby that you have attempted.
Good Luck,
EW