PDA

View Full Version : Newbie info on the world of swaging?

Dannix
10-09-2009, 07:39 AM
I thought it would be interesting to get into the world of DIY FMJ/HP bullets and a THRer directed me to you guys. Any recommended must-read links for coming on stream?

Thanks

ANeat
10-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Welcome Dannix; There is some reading material online at either of the Corbin sites.

Honestly I see more of what interests me about swaging here. The only hitch that Ive seen is the long wait for some of the equipment to get started.

So read up, some of the guys here are doing some interesting stuff

scrapcan
10-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Dannix,

What calibers and what cartridges? What weights? These will guide on what may be out there. There is another forum for small bore swaging, Saubier.com.

What kind of equipemtn are you looking at? dedicated swaging press, converted reloading presses, or standard reloading press?

There are several versions of the Corbin books which are good reading. handbook of swaging edition 9 is available on corbins site.

http://www.swage.com/ebooks.htm

Of course there is loads of info right here on this site also. Kepp askign questions and there will be others that will add to you knowledge base.

And as mention the hard part comes in purchasing what you want. You may be able to get started by using CH 101 swage dies in the reloading press depending on caliber.

Bullshop
10-09-2009, 01:44 PM
I have the whole colection of Corbin books available for sale/trade if anyone is interested.
BIC/BS

Dannix
10-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm not even sure what equipment I want. I'm getting started with reloading, and I figured I'd look at DIYing FMJ/HP bullets as well (I may look at casting, but only for bespoke revolvers and leverguns).

Buckshot
10-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm not even sure what equipment I want. I'm getting started with reloading, and I figured I'd look at DIYing FMJ/HP bullets as well .

...............Well the swaging stuff will certainly make all the reloading gear seem inexpensive! :-)

.............Buckshot

BT Sniper
10-11-2009, 05:45 PM
It can be done at very resonable cost. It is a hobby like anything else and one can spend as little or as much as they want on it.

Figure out what caliber you want to make. The pistol bullets can be made cheaply with CH-4D dies and a decent reloading press. I think the easiest caliber bullet to make would have to be the .400 from a 9mm brass or .429 from 40 cal brass.

I started from nothing and spent less then $400 to make these bullets.

As stated all the info you need is here.

Good shooting

BT

Dannix
12-14-2009, 05:44 PM
I come back to this thread armed with the little bit I've learned in the past couple of months, mostly reloading related. Got a lot of swag reading to do.

Right now really only interested in FMJ 9mm. Maybe a little .40 and perhaps .45, .233, .308 in the more distant future.

The "entry-level" swagger Corbin CSP-1 is simply way out of my price range right now. How would the "top-level" reloader Co-Ax compare -- just how inferior would it be? Or the CH-4D Champion (which I never heard of until I check out CH-4D for their swaging dies)?

I looked at the CH-4D 101 Bullet Swaging Dies. Any "reloader" swaging dies out there that will do FMJ, or is FMJ only for the big boys?

ANeat
12-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Did you look at Richard Corbins stuff? http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=default

Dannix
12-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Brother of David R Corbin?

Just sent a PM to Bullshop on what books he has up for grabs. I'm also tempted to go for the Corbin "pack" at $70 or so. Will go over Richard's stuff first though, thanks.

MIBULLETS
12-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Dannix, you can make a FMJ on a lot of the stuff you see. You use a slightly different technique and possibly a few extra punches to help curve the bullet bases closed or almost closed. Dave Corbin talks a little about it in his books so you may see it there.