PDA

View Full Version : rossi update

mainiac
04-23-2006, 07:36 PM
alluding to my previous post, i ended up buying the rossi .357 mag lever gun. It is an interarms model,with a (puma?) emblem on the left side. I have always wanted a small light rifle to bang around with,and this thing is just sweet! Loaded up a guessed load of 14 grs of imr4227 and the 358156 bullet and it shoots clover leafs at 25 yards! 1610 av. f.p.s. At a 100 it is a different story! The thing has square revolver type sights on it,and i have trouble past 50 yards. Can i buy real bead sight and buckhorn rear for this gun? Maybe some of you fellers have a set that you want to part with? This has gotton out of hand so my real question is,,,, just how good can a gun like this shoot at 100? assuming I can see with better sights? Thanks,mark Also, 50 rounds with this load, and just a little leading in the throat area. Very happy so far!

35remington
04-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Odd that you should question the square sights, as I have always found them to be superior to the round bead/round notch sights in providing a good sight picture. The round bead sights have trouble in providing a clear index of elevation. I know I shoot much smaller groups with the flat post/square notch combination.

Round beads cover up a lot of the target at 100 yards if they are big enough to see, and you probably will have the same problem with them.

Perhaps it is just a personal thing for you? If I were you I would get some replacement sights from Brownell's or Midway. Marble's makes some suitable candidates.

Old Ironsights
04-23-2006, 09:42 PM
alluding to my previous post, i ended up buying the rossi .357 mag lever gun. It is an interarms model,with a (puma?) emblem on the left side. I have always wanted a small light rifle to bang around with,and this thing is just sweet! Loaded up a guessed load of 14 grs of imr4227 and the 358156 bullet and it shoots clover leafs at 25 yards! 1610 av. f.p.s. At a 100 it is a different story! The thing has square revolver type sights on it,and i have trouble past 50 yards. Can i buy real bead sight and buckhorn rear for this gun? Maybe some of you fellers have a set that you want to part with? This has gotton out of hand so my real question is,,,, just how good can a gun like this shoot at 100? assuming I can see with better sights? Thanks,mark Also, 50 rounds with this load, and just a little leading in the throat area. Very happy so far!
Welcome to the Fun Lever club.

How about a Williams FP Peep? Go take a look at www.stevesgunz.com Steve does amazing work with the Rossi levers and won't steer you wrong.

The Rossi .357 will hold Minute of Deer at 100 with ease, and get downright tight with a good peep.

shooter575
04-23-2006, 09:46 PM
I am with 35 Remington on this one.Square/square is the only way I can shoot open sights very well.Distance from eye to the rear sight will make a diffrence though.It has changed on me as mine get older.
Maybe a tang peep is what you need.Lots of them out there and looks good on a lever.

Four Fingers of Death
04-23-2006, 10:21 PM
I have an older 38/357 with the square rear cut and flat blade front and a new 44 with buckhorn rear and gold coloured bead front. The square deal is so much better I hardly use the 44 and am about to attack it with my dremel. persist with the sights for awhile, I'm sure you will get used to them. The buckhorns are better for running shots, but not much else except looking good. they are a fun gun, the sort you can burn boxes of ammo real quick.

Mine is a ***** old bird, with a removable mag tube plunger and a cutout / loading port in the tube, like a big 22!

454PB
04-24-2006, 12:23 AM
Mine is a ***** old bird, with a removable mag tube plunger and a cutout / loading port in the tube, like a big 22!

Not really, I have a Puma model 92 in 454 Casull, less than two years old, and it's the same way. It makes it easy to load and unload:-D

26Charlie
04-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Mainiac - I have the Rossi trapper version of that gun, with 16 1/2" barrel. Almost anything seems to shoot well in it up to 50 yards. For ranges up to 100 I have loaded 180 gr. bullets as well as the 358156GC over 16.5 gr. H-110 and a small rifle primer. This is an accurate and surprisingly powerful load. It will also work in .357 Mag revolvers, which is a criterion I keep in mind for all pistol caliber rifles - don't want any ammo around which is dangerous in the wrong gun.
The 180 gr. bullets used so far are a Saeco GC, a plain base NEI-JDJ truncated cone nose, and a commercial cast copperized plain base. All shoot about the same, 4" or so at 100 yards which is good for the trapper with these open sights.

Old Ironsights
04-24-2006, 10:35 AM
The cast boolits Buffalo Bore uses in their .357 loads are monsters fps wise. They use some sort of duplex powder and get data like this:

(18.5 inch Marlin 1894)

a. Item 19A/20-180gr. Hard Cast = 1851 fps

And for Condoms, they get this:

b. Item 19B/20-170gr. JHC = 1860 fps
c. Item 19C/20-158gr. Speer Uni Core = 2153 fps---- Can you believe this?!!!
d. Item 19D/20-125gr. Speer Uni Core = 2298 fps---- Or this?!!!

Crazed. Some of those .357 loads shoot like a .30-30.

Old Ironsights
04-24-2006, 10:44 AM
All shoot about the same, 4" or so at 100 yards which is good for the trapper with these open sights.
That's "Minute of Deer" any way you look at it...:-D

KCSO
04-24-2006, 11:09 AM
I use a hard cast 180 grain bullet and mine will put 5 into 2 3/4" at 100 yards, that is the old one will. The new old one is still over 3 1/2", but so far it has only had about 250 rounds of cast shot through it. Brownell's sells ths Rossi sights, they are a little different dovetail than the standard. I took the post on my old gun and tapered it and put on a gold bead. It had lasted 20 years so far. I went with a square sourdough style. I have alos taken the band sight off and silver soldered the original 92 sight mount on the gun, or just cut a dovetail and slide in a taller bead sight. I will try and post a photo tonight.

mainiac
04-24-2006, 08:21 PM
thats the problem i am having..... the front sight is a narrow blade that is pinned into the front barrell band. Does anybody make a replacement sight for this, or do i have to have a dove tale cut in the barrell? Cant beleave how much fun this little gun is to shoot! Easily shoot clay pigeons @ 50 yards, which, with my eyes is pretty good.