PDA

View Full Version : Gluebit size question

Outdoors
10-09-2009, 01:54 AM
Re-posted from another subforum ...

I've been reading the hot glue boolit thread and wondered how closely the gluebits replicate real boolit dimensions.

I've got a Lee 312-185 that I am lapping out (nose is too small for my Enfields). I have small kids so my casting time is pretty limited, and I wondered if I could use the hot glue to get a decent cavity cast to check my work.

Thanks!

Pat

Buckshot
10-10-2009, 05:34 AM
...........I'd go to the Classic's & Stickies forum and check for Glulets ( or however ya wanna call'em). I know there are lengthly threads on them.

.............Buckshot

Outdoors
10-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanka Buckshot. I tried it out myself.
They do not appear suitable for determining mold size. Bet Cerrosafe would work for that application, tho.

On the other hand - the soft, rather springy gluelets are pretty cool!

Thanks!

Pat

shunka
10-22-2009, 01:23 AM
I've got a Lee 312-185 that I am lapping out (nose is too small for my Enfields). I have small kids so my casting time is pretty limited, and I wondered if I could use the hot glue to get a decent cavity cast to check my work.

Greetings Pat -
I often use melted candle wax. It gives me a good casting which I can examine for faults and measure with my calipers. Wax seems to fill the cavity well and does not seem to shrink. If shrinkage is a serious problem, there is machinists wax which I know does not shrink.

yhs
shunka