PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a recipe for puffballs ??

Lee
10-09-2009, 01:02 AM
Found one behind my house a week ago. Big as a basketball. When I kicked it, a bit of spores puffed out. So I am sure(?) that it was past its prime. But, does anyone know just when to pick them? And is spotting them a no-brainer, as I suspect? Details, please............Thanks..........

carpetman
10-09-2009, 01:06 AM
The real trick is finding a puff in it's prime before you castrate them. Then you proceed with cooking them just like you would a half grown feral cat.

dale2242
10-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Slice them , dip in egg and milk mixture. dredge in flour, salt and pepper, and fry in oil. Yummy.Be sure they are nice and white inside, peel and slice....dale

Lee
10-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Soooo, it sounds like the insides would also be white, as I have seen before I knew they were edible? And the spores signal it is past its prime?
How can you tell if the feral cat is half grown?

carpetman
10-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Lee how do you tell if it's a half grown feral cat? You have to make real sure its a feral cat. Was it on your place or somewhere else? Is it alive? If answer to either of these questions is yes--it's feral. Then you carefully weigh it. Cook it. Does it taste like a puffball? If so it is half grown.

Lee
10-10-2009, 11:18 PM
1. My place
2. Alive.
3. Weighs 1#
4. White solid soft texture interior.

I'm goin' in. Iff'n ya don' hear from me, well it wasn't a half grown feral cat.........

legend
10-14-2009, 06:38 PM
My father ate puffballs all his life.coated slices with egg/milk mix flour/cracker crumbs. he loved them. my mother would not let him feed them to us kids(5) as she said he would poison us;they had many fights at the supper table about it... makes me giggle to remember...

i miss him

cigaretts were his demise not puffballs
thanks for the memories!

legend

wilddog45
10-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Puffballs should be picked when small and when sliced in half should look like solid white bread.Sometimes an amanita(deadly poison) looks like a puffball but when sliced in half looks like another mushroom shape inside. I am not too fond of puffballs myself as they taste bland to me.Anyway to cook just mix up some white cornmeal or masa 1/3 cup to 1 cup flour and a little garlic powder and cayenne if like it spicy. Wash the mushrooms and shake it up in a gallon storage bag with the mix and deep fry.

Lead Fred
10-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Puffballs, Doves at 300 yards hit by a 178 A-Max