PDA

View Full Version : Are RCBS LAM's prone to leaking at the base like Lyman 450's?

cheese1566
10-08-2009, 11:09 PM
I just got my RCBS LAM from HawkEyeEarl. It is superb! I am having my weekend project of disassembly, de-lube, cleaning, polishing, and mounting.
In the past I have mounted my Lyman 45 and 450 each to a block of aluminum that is drilled to accept a Lyman cartridge heater. I can then C-clamp the alum block to the bench during use and remove out of the way.
When mounting these to the alum blocks, I used Permatex gasket former#1 on the luber bases to seal in the lube and keep it from leaking out between the base and alum block.
I see they are the same basic design of having the screw up through the bottom. My concern is the bottom on the LAM is recessed where the pressure screw is, where as the 450's are flat with the base. May have some trouble making a seal the way the recess cut is machined so close to the front edge.

Are the RCBS LAM's prone to this leaking to when using a heater?

madcaster
10-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Just add a washer(as in nuts and bolts washer) beneath the sizer base,where the recess for the pressure screw is,it will keep it tight and help prevent leaking...

NoDakJak
10-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I cured my leakage problem by applying a layer of Blue Goo (Silicone Sealer) on the surface before bolting the press down. It has worked well on three of my presses at the present time. The mounting surface are aluminum plates. Neil

Catshooter
10-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Neither of mine leak. They are un-modified.

Cat

Maven
10-10-2009, 10:29 AM
There are two LAM body castings: One is virtually a clone of the Lyman #450, the other has a solid base and can't leak. If you have a leaker, you can permanently fix it by using a piece of tablet backing (cardboard) cut to fit the "footprint" of the machine. Btw, Ken Mollohan, "Molly" on this site described this method in The Fouling Shot several years ago and it works...perfectly.

lathesmith
10-10-2009, 08:08 PM
I was working over a Lyman 450 in the shop today and noticed that the bore in the bottom that holds the plug with the O-ring has the sealing ledge machined off-center. I have a few ideas for a fix or two, I'll try and post in a separate thread in a few days.
lathesmith

GP100man
10-10-2009, 10:01 PM
i stopped on a 4lane hiway & picked up a peice of truck intertube , NOW that`s a Gasket!!!

WHITETAIL
10-21-2009, 08:12 AM
I have a Lyman 450.
And I fixed it with a O ring.
Then bolted it to a piece of
Alumn. then I C clamped it to my bench.:holysheep

tackstrp
10-23-2009, 11:50 AM
never had a problem but i dont use a heater.
i have and industrial hot air gun ( super hair diryer) that can melt the lyman 450 at a warm to the touch in a very short time. which would be way to warm imo.