PDA

View Full Version : Magazine capacity on a M70?

2ndAmendmentNut
10-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I have a Winchester M70 Sporter Varmint in 22-250, post 64 style action. My question is what is the magazine capacity supposed to be? I have had reliability issues with this gun, and it only seems to reliably work if it is loaded 1+2 rounds.

Heavy lead
10-08-2009, 10:27 PM
My model 70's have always held 5 in the magazine with a bolt closed over them on .473 diameter cartridges. I'm wondering if you don't have a weak magazine spring. I've had a couple I've taken out and sprung out (pulled apart) then put back in for increased spring pressure (not just on M70's either, but other brands and models).
Especially being a push feed, it should feed like butter.

Hardcast416taylor
10-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Check the underside of the feed rails on the magazine for roughness or a burr. All my model 70 rifles were 6 shooters.Robert

GabbyM
10-09-2009, 12:09 AM
That's just the nature of a 22-250 case to kink up in the mag after two rounds. Many rifles of other brands will only feed up a single loaded round. Most of the bolt guns in 223 aren't any better. On my Rem 700 in 223 I just gave up and dropped in a single shot follower to make it easier to load it single shot. I've assumed that's one of the reasons CZ sells so many 527's. Since their single stack mag and controlled feed will actually shoot like a repeater. Or so I've heard rumoured.

WickedGoodOutdoors
10-09-2009, 08:57 AM
4 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.

However I only oload 2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. Never have had the need for more than 2 shots.

ferinstance. My last deer too one 30-06 180 grain in the chest and started to run. If it had taken more than a few steps it would have gone over the steep ridge down into the swamp. So I blew off its kneecap on the back leg with a second shot and when it came down off the first bounce it was dead. Right on top of the ridge.

1) shot to kill it
2nd shot if it dont go down right on the spot
3rd shot you missed
4th shot you still missed
5th shot is just so you dont have to unload before you go home.

OK So maybe ther are reasons that you may want 5 shots

http://www.mainlesson.com/books/chaillu/equator/zpage173.gif

Hardcast416taylor
10-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Where I deer hunt here in the Northern wilds of Mich. you need more than 1 shot in your weapon of choice. The reason being you must shoot and scare off the "scab" hunters claiming your kill as theirs. The coyotes that are really producing here. The wolves that are on the mainland below the Mac bridge now. And of course the farm feral "house cat" looking for a free meal. I haven`t needed more than a single killing shot on whitetail deer in cver 40 years.:confused:Robert

.45Cole
10-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Where I deer hunt here in the Northern wilds of Mich. you need more than 1 shot in your weapon of choice. The reason being you must shoot and scare off the "scab" hunters claiming your kill as theirs. The coyotes that are really producing here. The wolves that are on the mainland below the Mac bridge now. And of course the farm feral "house cat" looking for a free meal. I haven`t needed more than a single killing shot on whitetail deer in cver 40 years.:confused:Robert

So you use your hunting rifle and a 10/22 w/ a couple of 25rdr's? My m700-VS (.22-250) has a capacity of 4 or 5, but I know I can put 4+1 in and it cycles perfectly. My brother's weatherby .300 holds 3 or 4, but the last round always requires two runnings of the bolt.

carpetman
10-09-2009, 01:17 PM
A guy finally agreed to his wives request to go deer hunting with him. He placed her on an open spot where he knew there would be no deer. Told her to sit there and be quiet. He went to his favorite spot and then heard a shot from his wifes location. Went there and his wife had a guy at gunpoint. Guy said " " yes maam it's yours, you shot it. If you let me take my saddle off it, I'll help you skin it".

2ndAmendmentNut
10-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Okay thank you all for your help, I guess I have a gun that needs a little work. You all might be wondering why I need more then 3 shots. The answer is for pig hunting, usually if a herd of pigs comes in I can drop three for three shots. Maybe if I did not have to reload I could drop a few more. The point of shooting pigs is to kill as many as possible, fill up your freezer, and leave the rest for the vultures.