PDA

View Full Version : My Lyman 429244 is back.

405WIN
10-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Thought I would share this info.
This summer I bought a brand new Lyman 4 cavity mold # 429244. Well the mold cast a bullet that measured .4275 and the gas check shank was real loose on the hornady gas check. I figured it was worth a chance, so I shipped it back to Lyman with a few sample bullets. Today, about three weeks later ,I received the mold back. The note with the mold acknowledged that the mold was undersized and so was re- cut and the sample bullets they sent back now measure .4305- .4310.
I have yet to cast some up my self, but so far I am quite happy with there service.

GP100man
10-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I know some are miffed with Lyman ritenow but i have to much invested in Lyman tools to turn my back on the Company.
In all the problems i`ve had with there products, they`ve made good on em !!

waco
10-08-2009, 09:57 PM
ive been happy with my lyman product, including molds
good to hear you got some good customer service

higgins
10-09-2009, 11:50 AM
They have never failed to make right what I had to return to them. I just wish they would take more pains to get it right the first time.

Ben
10-09-2009, 03:52 PM
They have never failed to make right what I had to return to them. I just wish they would take more pains to get it right the first time.

That's my problem with Lyman..........You buy the mold and then have to send it back to get it right.

Something about that procedure just doesn't seem right.

Ben

Ricochet
10-09-2009, 04:01 PM
The note with the mold acknowledged that the mold was undersized and so was re- cut and the sample bullets they sent back now measure .4305- .4310.
Mine are right at .430". The first one you got was cut with a worn out cherry, I'd say.

405WIN
10-09-2009, 06:50 PM
I tried out the mold today. Bullets with WW metal are .430 and fell out of the mold with little effort on my part. So far I am quite happy with the mold and Lyman. I do note that the shank for the gas check is still to loose . I had to hold the check in place as I placed the bullet in my Star sizer. After sizeing it was loose, but not so much that it would fall off. On there sample bullets from the mold, the check was a ntight snap on fit. Different alloy I suppose.

geargnasher
10-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I'd put money on a bet that Lyman cast those puppies with Linotype to get the fattest boolit possible, plus many their listed loads in the cast boolit manual specify Lino. If the gas checks are still loose, try enlarging the holes GENTLY with an appropriately sized and tapered Dremel stone turned with a hand-held electric drill. Preserve the taper of the shank by shaping your dremel stone one of those tools used to true grinding wheels until it is just oversized and close it in the mould and work it back toward you. It won't take much.

This, of course, will void your warranty but I doubt Lyman will fix the shank if it is tight with the boolits they sent you.

Gear

Alchemist
10-10-2009, 06:20 PM
How long was the turn around? I'm waiting on a 429421 that I sent back due to out of round....

405WIN
10-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Alchemist,
The turn around was 3 1/2 weeks.. The mold was obviously opened up because you can see the fresh shiny metal inside the cavitys.