PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Krag threads.

madsenshooter
10-08-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm looking for someone to cut US Krag threads on 2 barrels that I have. One is a heavy Obermeyer 6mm barrel presently chambered in 6mmRemBR, so some of the chamber end will have to be removed. Diameter at the chamber end is 1.218". All I want is most of the old chamber removed, and the threads cut, I'll do the chambering. I'm building a 6mm/30-40 Ackely Improved. I have a reamer and dies.

The other barrel is a not quite as heavy, new, unchambered 6 groove Wilson blank that I'll chamber in regular 30/40 at first, then maybe 30/40AI at some other time. No amateurs need apply, I need this done right the first time.

I'm building these heavies for my grandson to have one day. I know the old Krag isn't the best of actions, and understand the pressure limits, for instance the 6mm/30-40AI will be limited to 6mmRem starting loads or cast, but some of the fun will be teaching the boy things like that.

Thanks,
madsenshooter

deltaenterprizes
10-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Do you have the old barrel?

madsenshooter
10-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I have a couple of original barrels.

deltaenterprizes
10-09-2009, 12:07 PM
How do you plan to chamber your barrels?

madsenshooter
10-09-2009, 01:56 PM
By hand, have reamers. Part of the learning for the kid with him as observer. One of those shared experiences things, he'll remember being with grandpa when they made these rifles. I've pretty much got everything I need, an old walnut target stock that's homemade, and another heavy stock that appears to be made of ash (real heavy) that's partially inletted, receivers and associated other parts.

madsenshooter
11-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks to all those who didn't answer. I found a local smith to take care of the project. So my 6mm/30-40 Krag Ackley Improved will become a reality in the not too distant future. That chambering should be good use for WC860!